12 reasons I now hate the Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
I'm not sure why I'm supposed to get excited about a tournament that would be played once every four years and be covered on NBC's third shopping channel sandwiched between two sports I don't care about and hosted by some dude who does't have any idea what softball is thereby requiring the female expert to take an inordinate amount of time to explain basics to Johnny Hairdoo.

I'd rather watch the NCAA WCWS and the other high level tournaments that ESPN covers.

Aug 5, 2012
Any sport that requires an opinion of judges should be out...period. We can keep all the others. If you want to keep gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming, etc. there needs to be a required number of spins, jumps, twirls that each one needs to complete. The one who gets them all done the fastest wins. To make it more exciting, let the other contestants try to keep each other from getting them done. Imagine figure skating with full body checks. I'd watch that.

My question for any soccer people here: why can't we just stop the clock instead of adding some mystery time so that there are only a couple people who know when the game...match...whatever...is over?

Sep 18, 2011
I still think it's possible that Japan will add softball as a demonstration sport or whatever it's called.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My question for any soccer people here: why can't we just stop the clock instead of adding some mystery time so that there are only a couple people who know when the game...match...whatever...is over?

I kind of like it. You guess pretty close how long a game is going to be. I usually just figure on adding 2-4 minutes substitution time to each 45 minute half.

Jul 28, 2008
The vote does not surprise me in an way. We all knew that wrestling was going to be voted back in, while baseball/softball would continue to be on the outside looking in. If you thought that softball had a snowball's chance, you were only fooling yourself.

However, I'm with you on the following: trampoline, rhythm gymnastics, synchronized swimming and especially anything equestrian. When the horse is the real athlete, it should not be allowed in the Olympics.

Jun 11, 2013
The problem with the Summer Olympics is there are too many sports. Why not move some of the indoor sport like Badminton to the winter. What difference does it make. It also wouldn't interfere with the exciting Badminton summer tour.

I totally agree on soccer. You play 90 minutes and then at the end they randomly add 3 or 4 minutes on to the end of the half and even that it totally subjective. That was fine before we had digital clocks.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Modern Pentathalon-running/swimming/shooting/horse jumping/fencing (why is there an event based on The Princess Bride?)

I love Princess Bride references, JJSqueeze.
"my name is inigo montoya..."

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Modern Pentathalon-running/swimming/shooting/horse jumping/fencing (why is there an event based on The Princess Bride?)

I love Princess Bride references, JJSqueeze.
"my name is inigo montoya..."

IMO, Princess Bride and Danny Trejo references in the same post deserve extra credit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC