-12 FS3 to....good transition bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2015
My daughter is on the smaller side and currently uses a -12 Easton FS3 30/18 (she is a left and slaps sometimes). I want to get her a 31" bat. I have read that -12 is almost too light and I should try to stay around -10, however I have heard that jumping 2 oz is too much of a jump. Thoughts on this? I hear Easton's are heavier so could the -12 feel closer to a demarini -11 or -10? Just looking for suggestions.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I would stay at 30 and go to a -11.

There are a lot of nice -11 out there.

If she is on the smaller side maybe some of her teammates have some bats she can borrower for a little bit.

Aug 16, 2015
My daughter is using the same size bat (Vendetta) and we're trying to transition too. She's 9 (almost 10) playing 2nd year 10u. She's 4'10" 90 lbs, so I am concerned about leaving her at 30, but I'm not sure she's ready for 31/21 yet. I've thought about a CF8 -11 or a 2016 Mako -11. I know the Makos tend to be heavier.

Others have suggested getting her it and choking up/etc, but the best recommendation is to try to demo the bats to see which fits her.

Aug 16, 2015
I guess that's where it gets hard. Not many places to demo around here. But a -11 Mako would be comparable to a -10 Demarini right?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2015
I just bought my 6-year old daughter a 2016 FS3 in 28/16. The out of the wrapper weight was 18.0oz, +2oz, but that tends to be the norm for Easton. The Demarini CF bats are closer to spec. and I may end up trying to catch an old CF on sale in 28/17 configuration. Of note, the CXN ConneXion, where the barrel and the handle connect, the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. A gap has developed around the "seal." There's about 200 batted balls off this bat since I received at the first of the month. Maybe this is a one-off issue, but I'm afraid of dirt collecting inside the handle and adding weight. For this is the reason I will be exchanging and/or returning.

Aug 16, 2015
Is weight the only factor though? I mean, obviously, it matters.. but if the weight is distributed differently couldn't a bat that has a heavier scale weight have a lighter "swing" weight? Kind of the same concept golf clubs have?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is weight the only factor though? I mean, obviously, it matters.. but if the weight is distributed differently couldn't a bat that has a heavier scale weight have a lighter "swing" weight? Kind of the same concept golf clubs have?

Absolutely. An end-loaded bat will swing "heavier" than a balanced bat. Conversely, the Demarini Slapper has the balance point shifted slightly towards the handle, and it swings much "lighter" than a typical balanced -10.

Anderson Bat Company has used a "swing weight" approach for years.

These are certainly factors to consider in the process of picking the right bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00