11yr old DD swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2014
We have posted here in the past and received great advice. Unfortunately, DD has been on the IR for most of the summer with a nasty concussion. DR gave her the go ahead so we are getting back into the swing of things. Looking for some advice on her swing. Any help will be appreciated!
Mags090214 - YouTube

Oct 25, 2009
The tee is set too high. Move it lower and have her tilt at the hips to drive line drives into the net. She will feel as if she is golfing it so make sure she strives for line drives.

The tee is too far out front, also. It should be just inside the front foot towards the middle of the body. The way it is now she will learn to reach for the ball and become disconnected

She has no load. Have her bring her front knee back almost across her rear knee as she strides (aka kick stride). This will cause her hip to coil inward. Maintain that coil to stride. IOW, don't just step out towards the pitcher.

Search "rock the u" on this site as far as how her hands, arms, elbows should act as she loads.

She slides toward the ball with her body. Not good. She needs to learn to throw the barrel "right now". Search on this site for throw the barrel.

You mentioned advice you received on here before. Sorry, but I don't see any of it. If she wants to be good (and I see plenty of potential) she must take the advice and put in the work!

2lkpog2.jpg

Just trying to copy Cabrera's form will help her learn to feel the above suggestions. Don't think she's too young to learn his swing. She's the perfect age.

You'll get lots of great advice on here. Most all of it will lead to a Cabrera-style swing. Look at other models. See what looks like Cabrera in those swings.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Now this may sound far fetched but if you take a good look at WassermanStrength.com on throwing you will cut her learning curve on hitting by many hours. Hitting and throwing have very, very similar mechanics. Just guessing, but I'll bet she would really appreciate more work on both hitting and throwing.

Not connected in any way with them; other than taking forever before I finally bought their e-book

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Search "rock the u" on this site as far as how her hands, arms, elbows should act as she loads.

Keep in mind that "rock the U" isn't about moving the hands, arms, and elbows, but about how those parts GET moved (as a unit). Looking at Mig, his "rock the U" movement is a tightening of the scap that draws the hands, arms, and elbows up and back. The tightening of the scap tightens the connection between the hips and shoulders. This is the link between the primary power source (hip drive) and the shoulders. Without a tight connection, it becomes an upper-body powered swing.

I see some good quickness in this hitter, but it's out front too much and upper-body dominant. I would like to see tightening of the scap and more pulling with her back side.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g