11yo Swing advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not the type of stretch I would want:
11qkb9d.jpg
OOV9yW.gif

I would like to see the stretch more like this:
14Separation.gif

Again JMHO as a dad.:p

Oct 19, 2009
11qkb9d.jpg
OOV9yW.gif

14Separation.gif

Good point made here by RB, "Minimize Movement to Maximize Performance" looks to me she would have a difficult time tracking the ball with a good two eyed look with that much of a loading process JMO.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
11qkb9d.jpg
OOV9yW.gif

14Separation.gif

I think he said they were focusing on coil. Imho I like the action in the lower half for just one days worth of work. I like how she is not giving up the coil. She will figure out that she can turn her back butt cheek even more forward and flex her hips more while doing so. Then she will see she can stretch more efficiently/quietly and set up a better hand path

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I think he said they were focusing on coil. Imho I like the action in the lower half for just one days worth of work. I like how she is not giving up the coil. She will figure out that she can turn her back butt cheek even more forward and flex her hips more while doing so. Then she will see she can stretch more efficiently/quietly and set up a better hand path

Ok my bad. I thought I was commenting on his DD's coil.....
OOV9yW.gif

I seen it as 'leaning/stretching' back and posted gifs showing where I thought incorrect stretching was taking place.
Again my bad....keep up the good work.:)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yes, I was also 'trying' to point out the hand set ,barrel set, and a more 'workable' hand/arm usage. Hoping the dad could see an easier transition.
One hitter hitting 'out from' body the other hitter 'around' body. Probably why one hitter looses balance.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
OOV9yW.gif

I seen it as 'leaning/stretching' back and posted gifs showing where I thought incorrect stretching was taking place.
Again my bad....keep up the good work.:)

Just curious if what you see is the hip movement occurring the same time as the "loading" or hand movement (barrel wrap)? So, is she truly coiling? Or is the rear hip acquiring the appearance of coil, but is just moving rearward with the hands without creating additional resistance?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just curious if what you see is the hip movement occurring the same time as the "loading" or hand movement (barrel wrap)? So, is she truly coiling? Or is the rear hip acquiring the appearance of coil, but is just moving rearward with the hands without creating additional resistance?

Barrel wrap/trap. I see a pre-set coil then a stretch from the front foot to the hands.
OOV9yW.gif

11qkb9d.jpg

Hitter is using the wrong 'stretch' as a power source. JMHO.

I was pointing out that I would like to see the stretch/resistences here:
14Separation.gif

I was using sarcasm....when I replied:

Again my bad....keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hitter is using the wrong 'stretch' as a power source. JMHO.

I was pointing out that I would like to see the stretch/resistences here:
14Separation.gif

I was using sarcasm....when I replied:

Yes, I picked up on the sarcasm, and I agree with what you are saying. My point is the same, but with different words. Hips and hands are "coiling" together, sort of. So I really don't seen any stretch, or not the right kind of stretch. By having the hands move at the same time as the hip movement, it looks more like a connection between the hands and the hips. Yes, I realize connection is a term used to describe something different...

If you go back and look at the gif of Bonds, you will notice that his hips and hands do not appear to be "connected" in the same way. I believe that is the stretch you are prescribing and that I agree with. Just a slightly different way of looking at the same thing.

I would also like to see what would happen if she adjusted how she uses her hands. I think it would make a big difference to a swing that really isn't too far away.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Great work; and in only one day. That's exactly what I had in mind. You can really feel her coiling around a solid post now.
I think a more vertical bat without letting it drop, and low tee will help her add path to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad