11U DD - Warm-Up Throw Down & Caught Stealing Clip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2015
Been reading a little lately about how different warm-ups and game time throws can be. These 2 clips definitely show that. Her Warm-Up throw isn't bad, but you can also tell there's no REAL sense of urgency. Now, the game footage is different. In that clip, they were actually playing a 14U team, and the girl was pretty quick. DD knew the ball had to come out quick, so EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT!!!

Warm-Up Throw
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGUDZCR1hPRkNiRVE/view?usp=sharing

Caught Stealing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGREhhQmVfbmNSVWc/view?usp=sharing

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Pretty typical, on warmups you want to just stay loose. Focus on feet and smoothness. Also no reason to give too much away. You want to know if you can run, you have to pay to find out.

Nov 29, 2009
Pretty typical, on warmups you want to just stay loose. Focus on feet and smoothness. Also no reason to give too much away. You want to know if you can run, you have to pay to find out.

Got that right. That is exactly what used to tell a 12U catcher I had years ago in rec all-stars. I would tell her to throw a loopy ball to 2nd that barely got there. The coaches would always mutter to themselves after their runner was thrown out by 3 steps and not try to steal again. It helps when you have a SS who can handle the throws.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My thinking on this has evolved over time. Rather than hiding a catcher's throwing ability during pre-game warm up/throw downs and then revealing it during a game situation, I now think that it is far more beneficial to showcase the gun and shut down the other team's running game before the game even starts. Even the best catcher requires a decent pitch to throw out a runner and a ball in the dirt (that should be blocked, not scooped), a badly mis-located pitch (i.e., inside when expected outside or vice versa), or an off-speed pitch can result in a speedster successfully stealing, even with the best catcher alive. Why introduce that possibility if you don't have to? The only thing you can absolutely count on is that 100% of runners who don't try to steal, won't steal.

If you had to choose one catcher based on their ability to control the running game and both had identical caught stealing percentages (let's arbitrarily say 40%) and all other factors (i.e., own team, opponents, pitchers, fielders, baserunners etc.) were equal, which one would you pick - the catcher who threw out 4 runners or the one who threw out 40 runners?!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I wouldn't go so far as to futz the throw, and DD definitely won't, but there's no need to burn the cover off the ball for a warmup when she's been sitting in the dugout for a while.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I tend towards GM's approach on this. I like giving the opposing coach a bit of hesitation in sending runners by showing off our catcher's gun on the throw-down. Of course, this only works with catchers who actually have a gun.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I tend towards GM's approach on this. I like giving the opposing coach a bit of hesitation in sending runners by showing off our catcher's gun on the throw-down. Of course, this only works with catchers who actually have a gun.

Taking a page from Uncle Hal's Sneaky Tactics book, it is worth noting that showcasing catcher arm strength (and accuracy) sometimes can be enough to make the opponents decide to shut/slow down their running game even if the catcher's transfer produces an overall pop time that wouldn't merit it!

Jan 10, 2015
Agreed. Make em' think twice. They may still test her once, but if she guns them down, it normally just confirms that it probably isn't a good idea to try to swipe a bag against that particular catcher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I saw the "slow throw" tactic employed by a pitcher in a 10U District game last year. Her pre-game warmup pitches from the circle were quite slow, and it looked like our team would have a bash-fest. Apparently, however, she was only showing off her CU. Her first pitch was in the high 40's, and came as quite a shock to the lead-off batter.

Feb 3, 2011
There's a difference between hiding a pitch before a game and hiding a catcher's gun. I *want* the opposing team to know our catchers are rock-solid and to fear them. And it's always more fun for the coaches (parents) when they ignore those warnings and get caught stealing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321