10yr old Swing Feedback Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
My 10 year old just started playing travel ball.

I know she has far from a perfect swing, looking for what she is doing well and not so well.
This was not her best or worst swing but how most of them looked.

Just looking to improve and looking for some constructive direction.

Thanks ahead of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsRtZFDQII

Griff...

DD has great potential...lots of good in that 10U swing!

Read the DBSF thread as noted by RDB...my DD2 is in quite a bit of it...

My 2 cents: Train the core and both legs AND train the hands. The core is tough at that age because they are still developing...

The success I've had as a head coach of a 12U travel team with those 2 things in mind over the past 90 days has been unbelievable. We lost an ASA qualifier last weekend and every coach we played against told me we were the best hitting team they had faced...CP

May 3, 2014
I am surprised what doesn't get mentioned is the reverse top hand drill.

Your daughter starts out with the bat leveled out and drags it to contact. Doing the RTH drill puts the hitter in a position where the bat is more vertical. You have to use your front arm and bottom hand to pull the handle forward as the barrel flattens behind her as part of the swing. If you don't know how to do it - hold the bat with your bottom hand as normal and then flip the top hand over so your thumbs of both hands meet.

gWmJnO.gif

When she gets good at hitting this way - start alternating between the RTH and regular grip to take the same kind of swing and the leveling/bat drag/DBSF issue should start resolving itself.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Your daughter starts out with the bat leveled out and drags it to contact. Doing the RTH drill puts the hitter in a position where the bat is more vertical. You have to use your front arm and bottom hand to pull the handle forward as the barrel flattens behind her as part of the swing. If you don't know how to do it - hold the bat with your bottom hand as normal and then flip the top hand over so your thumbs of both hands meet.

gWmJnO.gif

When she gets good at hitting this way - start alternating between the RTH and regular grip to take the same kind of swing and the leveling/bat drag/DBSF issue should start resolving itself.

Everything Butter said sounds right. One word of caution is the amount of strength a hitter has.
A 10 year old swinging her game bat? Some might not be able to do it at all. If they can maybe 5 reps at the most.

A 11-12 year old strong enough maybe 8 reps.
A highschool girl that it would not bother, I also only do 10 reps at the most.

If they are not strong enough, use a pvc bat the same length as there game bat and use tennis balls

Straightleg

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I find that giving the hands something to do, is important to the development. Everything mentioned will help, but when you educate the hands, things change very fast.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Read through the thread mentioned. Here is a snap shot to show exactly what we are talking about.

View attachment 9906

I don't really think these are the greatest drills but for illustration purposes only (please don't slam me too hard fellow DFPers) it will help you understand, picture and feel something closer to the correct path versus the flat all the way around path she takes now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7BkBF4mGg

Also learn about about the all back then all forward motion she is doing...it's wrong. First she needs (IMO) to start feet a little closer together then as she strides with front foot reach back with her hands as she loads her lower half. P.S. @ Eric F just posted a good video on what we are talking about

Again best bet is to go through some old and sticky threads to get the basics.

I wish folks would slow down the video and review it before making recommendations. If they did this then we would see a lot less recommendations of things like this ....

20p28vd.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wish folks would slow down the video and review it before making recommendations. If they did this then we would see a lot less recommendations of things like this ....

20p28vd.gif

Agreed. The fence drill illustrated here is not a swing action we want to be creating.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

gWmJnO.gif

Important to lose the palm-up/palm-down nonsense when performing such a drill. Maintaining a bottom-hand palm-down orientation through to extension can induce, and embed, a 'blocking' type action ... which will later impede extension of the rear arm towards the field of action.

May 3, 2014
Important to lose the palm-up/palm-down nonsense when performing such a drill. Maintaining a bottom-hand palm-down orientation through to extension can induce, and embed, a 'blocking' type action ... which will later impede extension of the rear arm towards the field of action.

Yes - that was something I talked about years ago - letting the bottom hand release by rolling/pronation. This allows more range of motion in the wrist.

Good catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12