10yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She said that it looked like she was spinning her back foot in the game swing.
MJk75j.gif

oNfIXg.gif

Your 8 yr old is correct.
Here is what I PM'd Eric
Also look at the difference of the rear foot/leg in the foul ball swing and the warm up swing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
For her age, I think she is well ahead of most. Must be a proud dad. IMO, softballphreak hit it with rock the u. I see it in the practice swing that RDB posted but not in the game swing footage. Get some more rock and I think it will clear up that rear elbow. The rocking should also improve her tempo. Keep swinging!

Apr 24, 2012
Eric her swing looks great. You gave her the tools know she just needs to learn how to hit with them.

Her practice swings are nice and fluid. Her game swings looked rushed. She looks like shes not getting proper separation because she's starting late. My DD does the same thing, I tell her to start slower and earlier and ride that back leg out.

nice work

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Your DD looks great!

I have 2 thoughts here...

She keeps her left arm somewhat "pinned" to her side...I'm not a fan of rock the U or turn the triangle as keys (IMO they are effects not causes and no I'm not gonna argue this ad nausea um) but her left elbow\arm motion is detrimental to a launch AND direct pattern.

I know BM doesn't get into the hitting aspects anymore but thus is terrific IMO for understanding the left arm function...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiot08tJpDI

JavaSource has a similar version of the Terminal Velocity trainer and I have a very simplistic version of it...

4' 3/4" PVC with 18" of pool noodle at the one end. If you pin your lead side elbow or turn the triangle as DICK states, you will bind your wrists...

As for her "starting late"with real pitching...in live pitching she's all "forward" - in her practice swing she move forward by coil. At her age, give her a cue like "as the pitcher rocks back, you rock back..." Or have her hold her coil on slow front toss...she just has to start her lower sooner IMO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here's a few swings during an at-bat in this past weekend's game...

The biggest focus right now is getting her to keep her hands from dropping as she strides. This has been part of her hitting pattern since she started playing, and it's been a very tough nut to crack. We have been working a lot on reinforcing the top hand swivel action, but it's not showing up against live pitching yet. Her low hand-set is leading to a lot of fly balls, but it leaves her very vulnerable to pitches up in the zone.

This at-bat resulting in her looking at a borderline low and outside pitch called for strike 3. She was not happy about the call, and it took her head out of the game for the next inning, which got her moved from 2B to RF.

This is not turning the barrel.

29f8cpc.jpg

See if she can throw the barrel from a high hand position ..... try a cue of the top hand passing above the rear shoulder.

6opxxs.gif

From the high hands position throw the barrel down "to" impact .... down "to", and "through" the ball.

2nhlwdy.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She looks just like a girl I know, exactly. She is having trouble getting her hands up. At 14 it is the swing she has built for years.
IMO work on that with a lot of focus! Priority 1! She will struggle at 14 and up, and it will be much harder to change the habit. It's hard to hit a ball above your hands and when your hands are starting down in the strike zone. Good pitchers and catchers will spot that right away.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

29f8cpc.jpg

See if she can throw the barrel from a high hand position ..... try a cue of the top hand passing above the rear shoulder.

6opxxs.gif

From the high hands position throw the barrel down "to" impact .... down "to", and "through" the ball.

2nhlwdy.gif
It's all been said before... 15yo DD| But maybe others can learn from it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Clearly.

We have worked on these things (or similar) in practice, and she can perform them in pieces, but things tend to fall apart a little when she takes a full swing, and even more when she's in the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00