10U team hitting - timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
I am coaching a 10U team this season, though so except 2 are really 9U first year players. They hit fairly well in bp as a team mechanically and now it’s time to learn to transfer it to the game. It seems in games they are all waiting way too late to get things going. The pitch is halfway to the plate before they load/stride and they are usually either late or swing at pitches that are way out of the zone.

Any suggestions from the old pros on how to communicate to 9yo’s how to start the load sooner or tips for practices? Is this something that just gets better with more at bats? The difference we see from pitcher to pitcher in speed is quite vast at this age.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is a common struggle, especially for younger players. They get told not to swing at bad pitches, so they wait to see if the pitch is good before they start their swing process. As pitching speeds increase, the time window gets narrower, and pretty soon they simply don't have the time to approach it like that. Generally, speaking, this gets better with time.

One idea might be for them to practice check swings. Get them familiar with the feeling of being able to stop their swing. Even do it on front toss. No hitting, just check swings. This leads to the idea that they need to get the swing process started on EVERY pitch, but they can still hold up if they need to. The mentality needs to be that every pitch is one to hit...until it's not.

The general rule of thumb I have used for the stride timing is "ball in the air, foot in the air". In other words, the stride should start about the same time as the pitcher releases the pitch.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Have you tried front toss wiffle balls? It takes timing to hit those. Then based upon success move gradually back and switch to real softballs. I know this has been panned but you may want to have them face live pitching in practice.

Also bounce tennis balls off of a solid surface from the front/side and have them time contact. But make sure they are in the strike zone to prevent wild swings.

Lastly the old stand by. The hitter tosses the ball up and hits it themselves. Be patient with this one. They may not hit the ball for many swings. But once they get it good thing happen.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bunting helps seeing/reading pitches
and learning/developing timing.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
It's common. All of us 10U coaches will see this. And all of us 10U coaches will see some girls figure it out and others not.

I've noticed the ones that take hitting lessons figure it out sooner. Go figure. The ones who practice more/better figure it out sooner.

Some good ideas and techniques above. Two that have worked some for me are:

1. The "yes, yes, no" mentality. Make them think "yes, I'm going to crush it" as they are in their stance. Make them think "yes, I'm going to crush it" as they load and step. Only think "no" when you recognize it's a ball.

2. Two or Three Plate drill. You can google that for video explanations. The best examples might be of baseball players, but same theory. I like the drill.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Excellent all. The post https://www.discussfastpitch.com/posts/412215 has some excellent visuals for the kids to see what to look for. Try to have the kids lift front foot for load at some point in the pitcher's delivery; foot moving forward at release and toe touch when ball is about halfway to them. Than have them work on it in when on-deck.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I am coaching a 10U team this season, though so except 2 are really 9U first year players. They hit fairly well in bp as a team mechanically and now it’s time to learn to transfer it to the game. It seems in games they are all waiting way too late to get things going. The pitch is halfway to the plate before they load/stride and they are usually either late or swing at pitches that are way out of the zone.

Any suggestions from the old pros on how to communicate to 9yo’s how to start the load sooner or tips for practices? Is this something that just gets better with more at bats? The difference we see from pitcher to pitcher in speed is quite vast at this age.
Another piece of the pie?

Oct 26, 2019
Another piece of the pie?

I went back and looked at my DDs video and this is right in line with what I think the adjustment needs to be. She is always just a tad late. great angle in the vid. I’ve been focusing on her starting earlier with her feet but tonight when I went down the Ron Sullivan rabbit hole of videos I noticed my DD starts her hands forward when her foot strikes instead of pulling back at that point. I think I’ve focused on all bottom half and this marries the two concepts. Thanks.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I went back and looked at my DDs video and this is right in line with what I think the adjustment needs to be. She is always just a tad late. great angle in the vid. I’ve been focusing on her starting earlier with her feet but tonight when I went down the Ron Sullivan rabbit hole of videos I noticed my DD starts her hands forward when her foot strikes instead of pulling back at that point. I think I’ve focused on all bottom half and this marries the two concepts. Thanks.
Think rhythm and dance rather than strictly mechanical?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13