10U Stay in the box!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have a young team, we are playing under 10U, but only have 2 players that are actually 10. Most are 9 and 8 with a couple 7s. For more than 1/2, this is their 1st experience seeing a "real" pitcher. Now with that being said.... I am having the hardest time getting some of them to STAY IN THE BOX! The strangest part is that my worst offender is one of my pitchers that played all of her req league with a "real" pitcher and did just fine. There have not been any major injuries or even that many girls getting hit with balls while batting, so I can't blame it on them seeing it happen.

I'm at a loss, how do I help them stay in? They won't even stay in the box when I fake pitch it - no ball coming at them! They are stepping out immediately. Is there a drill, or some sort of equipment to get to help them...or is it just that I have to keep having them stay in there and mentally trying to beat it?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
hit them all and show them that no one died from it. JK. I've never heard of that from a whole team. One or two kids maybe but a team? Is it mostly your younger kids?

It isn't the whole team all at once...it seems to go in waves. Once I finally get one to stay in the box then another one or two start stepping out. I wish it was just my younger ones; I could understand that more. However, in the last two weeks two of my better hitters have started this jumping out thing. I would say right now I have 5 out 15 that are jumping out of the box. There just doesn't seem to be a rational cause or clear solution. No one has gotten hit lately in the box by me or any of the other pitchers...Our last tournament no one was hit either. I just can't figure it out or how to make the pattern stop!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Maybe remind them that hitting is the BEST part of softball and if you don't hit you will be missing out. Sort of like getting a fudge sundae and only eating the ice cream.

Do you have BP using front toss? Maybe just getting more reps where they feel comfortable will push the defensive reflex to the back corners. Maybe talk to them while doing it so they aren't thinking about the need to get out of the way. Good Luck.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In 8U DD got hit and fractured her finger. I did not blame her for bailing out for a while but it got old. I had her bunt a lot then start swinging again. It seemed to help since she stopped bailing out.

Oct 31, 2010
My dd got hit a few times and started doing that when she moved up to 10u. During practice the coaches would put a bat or a wooden board behind her so she couldn't bail, they also taught her to bunt so that may have helped too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
01Mom, is on the right track, but please don't use a bat, because a little, scared girl can step on it and hurt an ankle. Maybe a bat bag, would be a better choice. Or just have a coach stand out there really close, to the batter, and keep reminding and encouraging.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I've also used a board behind the ankles.

Also try having them stand on top of a 2x4 (long side horizontal) which will make them step into the pitch or they will fall off it.

May 25, 2010
You're playing 10u tournaments with an 10u/8u rec team and that's why the 8-year-old rec players are acting like 8-year-old rec players.

Try to find a league with similar teams.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Like Quincy suggested have them bunt at practice alot against live pitching. 2x6 board is better, just for the width saftey wise if your going to use a board. I heard posters using tennis balls and teaching them how to turn there bodies the correct way to prevent injuries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck