10 yo pitching video: I'd appreciate any input!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
because, like I've said in the past, I know squadoochie about pitching...
(and yes, I know it's in the outfield...the infields were prepped for a game..)

thanks

!

Jan 27, 2010
Stephanie, your DD needs a PC. I realize she is young and probably just getting started, but she has quite a few bad mechanical problems and if not corrected soon will be very hard to break bad habits. She takes a step leaving the rubber, bends at the waist and leans,gives on her stride leg knee, and she is placing the ball.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
First thing that I notice is she is dropping her shoulder and leaning on release, Try to get her to stand tall through the entire pitch.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She how tall she stands prior to beginning her delivery? She wants to stay that tall and finish that tall.

She needs a PC that will have her doing stork drills, knee drills, walk throughs, etc.

My #1 thought is to not let her continue to bowl the pitch.

It is so hard to correct a girl that comes to lessons and has picked up bad habits.

She really looks like an athlete and a pitcher. I wish mine was that age, again.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Stephanie - if she wants to pitch I think you take her to a pitching coach or at least someone who knows pitching mechanics. A couple of things that are obvious a) she takes a step with her right pivot foot before she drags it (illegal); b) she is leaning way too far forward; and c) after release she is pulling her throwing arm back behind her instead of finishing out in front of her body.

If you don't have it, buy Bill Hillhouse's dvd which is excellent for the beginning pitcher. She has a lot of potential but must build a good foundation first to work from. I'm a firm believer that you cannot dabble in pitching; you either commit to it fully or you play another position. Its just too complex and competitive to go at it half heartedly. Good luck.

Feb 9, 2009
Stephanie - if she wants to pitch I think you take her to a pitching coach or at least someone who knows pitching mechanics. A couple of things that are obvious a) she takes a step with her right pivot foot before she drags it (illegal); b) she is leaning way too far forward; and c) after release she is pulling her throwing arm back behind her instead of finishing out in front of her body.

If you don't have it, buy Bill Hillhouse's dvd which is excellent for the beginning pitcher. She has a lot of potential but must build a good foundation first to work from. I'm a firm believer that you cannot dabble in pitching; you either commit to it fully or you play another position. Its just too complex and competitive to go at it half heartedly. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses!
I believe the extra step she is taking in this video is due to the grass...she actually doesn't do that in the circle on the dirt.
Amy, I am SOOO working with her on standing tall. The standing tall and leaning back a tad is what she picked up from Hillhouse. (SOCAL, we actually got to have a lesson with him two weeks ago...he is incredible and I would recommend ANYONE attending one of his clinics is he gets near you!) BUT, it takes me having to remind her, and remind her, and remind her...

She does lean. She knows it, and it has actually gotten better. But this video helps to show her she still has work to do...
As far as rolling the ball...what would help? Someone mentioned to have them hold the ball in the tips of their fingers. Would this work?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Stephanie, the pads of my fingers are on the seams. I tell the girls to put their fingernails right on top of the seams.

It isn't much different than throwing a 4 seam fast ball, overhand.

(I wonder how many times I can say the word "seam?")

I am guessing that you know that the ball doesn't sit back in the palm of the hand.

Oct 12, 2009
She does lean. She knows it, and it has actually gotten better. But this video helps to show her she still has work to do...
As far as rolling the ball...what would help? Someone mentioned to have them hold the ball in the tips of their fingers. Would this work?

I think some of this is due to trying to guide the ball and to avoid the batter; she may be trying to get the ball in under her arms.

She needs to learn to ignore the batter, focus on the glove, and let it rip.

Feb 9, 2009
Stephanie, the pads of my fingers are on the seams. I tell the girls to put their fingernails right on top of the seams.

It isn't much different than throwing a 4 seam fast ball, overhand.

(I wonder how many times I can say the word "seam?")

I am guessing that you know that the ball doesn't sit back in the palm of the hand.

hehe..you guess wrong. I don't know squat!
BUT, that IS what she's been told! She says she tries to hold it mostly on the ends of her fingers. but I think sometimes she gets lazy...I'm going to mention the "fingernails in the seam" thing to her today. We'll see if that helps.
I actually had her tell me the mechanics that people have been telling her to use, and she did okay spitting them back out...and then I asked her if there were any that she thought she needed help on, and she mentioned
1) bending over
2) keeping her shoulders turned toward third
3) and her follow through. (Hillhouse was all over her about her weird little follow through. Probably because she doesn't really have one!)
As long as I can keep her aware of these things, she can work on it.
BUT, I need to find her a pitching coach, too...
again, thanks everyone!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves