“You’ve come a long way, baby”

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Ha - we had “team bats” in high school. A bag of about 5 aluminum bats that probably had been around for 10 years. I would have loved to have seen the hits we would have had with composites!

Jun 8, 2016
Ha - we had “team bats” in high school. A bag of about 5 aluminum bats that probably had been around for 10 years. I would have loved to have seen the hits we would have had with composites!
We had team helmets..my wife gets grossed out when I tell her that even when I tell her we wore our baseball caps under the helmet :LOL:

Jan 8, 2019
Yes! We did as well. I think we had 4 total. Fun times!
We had 5, in case we ever got the bases loaded. We usually had an extra helmet. :LOL:

In the younger years of little league, we wore jeans to practice and games. Mom got mad if we got holes in the knees from sliding! Not until we were in majors and seniors did we get league issued white pants that had to be returned at the end of every year!!

Oh, and stirrups!! When you got issued pants and stirrups, you were in the big time! I don't think we had belts.

Apr 17, 2019
Oh I totally remember the stirrups! Team helmets, yep! Still have the rolled aluminum bat in the garage!
In western PA I was just entering HS in the early 90's when fastpitch was coming into vogue and our league transitioned from slowpitch. Nobody knew what they were doing; coaching was atrocious; I don't think any of the dad coaches had even seen a fastpitch game. I'd been a pretty successful slow pitch pitcher - they told me to pitch just like slowpitch, only couldn't have the arc. :ROFLMAO: My slowpitch game was allllll about the arc, dropping it right at the back of the carpet.... so that didn't work out well.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Those bats were nothing but aluminum tube shaped over a mandrel.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
:) Still have one from college.
Its a weapon!

No helmets in college until 1986 at Long bch state...
And that was regionals toward end of season. We got hand me downs from bb team. We had to put hand towels inside to fit!

May 27, 2013
I remember our town league (ages 7-13) didn’t allow windmill pitching - only slingshot. When I got to high school I was like wtf??!

And yes, jeans and sneakers (no cleats) for the town league. Uniform was a hat and tee-shirt. You either played in the Pee-wee league (grades 1-3) or Junior League (grades 4-8). Could you imagine 4th graders playing against 8th graders now in fastpitch? That would even be a stretch for rec ball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06