Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Turning the barrel 7

  1. #11
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 422 Times in 342 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    Shawn ... do you buy into the following? I don't.

    Bad visual of turning the barrel rearward. That visual is why I disagree with sending the barrel backwards, or TM's idea of snapping the barrel rearward.

    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn For This Useful Post:

    FiveFrameSwing (01-06-2019)

  3. #12
    on the journey fanboi22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Bad visual of turning the barrel rearward. That visual is why I disagree with sending the barrel backwards, or TM's idea of snapping the barrel rearward.
    What is your opinion of what the barrel should do? Any visuals would help. I am struggling to understand what some absolutes are when looking to achieve the high level swing for my DD. Thanks in advance.

  4. #13
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball FiveFrameSwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,970
    Thanks
    2,332
    Thanked 10,345 Times in 7,180 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboi22 View Post
    What is your opinion of what the barrel should do? Any visuals would help. I am struggling to understand what some absolutes are when looking to achieve the high level swing for my DD. Thanks in advance.
    The barrel should arc/orbit/[turn] ....


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveFrameSwing For This Useful Post:

    Mudders Brudder (01-06-2019)

  6. #14
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 422 Times in 342 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboi22 View Post
    What is your opinion of what the barrel should do? Any visuals would help. I am struggling to understand what some absolutes are when looking to achieve the high level swing for my DD. Thanks in advance.
    If my memory serves me correctly Rdbass says something like turn the barrel while going or to go forward, The bad visual is for the hands to remain back and snapping the barrel rearward with the hands still back. The bad visual also creates the lag position with the hands still back behind the rear shoulder,

    Rdbass say it better then what I'm remembering.
    Last edited by Shawn; 01-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  7. #15
    Softball Junkie DRDRODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 211 Times in 133 Posts

    Default Turning the barrel 7

    I fell into that trap with my DD, of TTB without any direction in mind. IMO the hands must have a direction in mind to allow TTB to be effective. Without the direction you just have an elevated case of DBSF. The barrel is just arches around the hands as direction is being fulfilled.

    Edit to add: you must keep in mind contact locations. A lot of people will use images like FFS posted to demonstrate TTB because it is easy to see, which is an outside pitch... an inside pitch will look different.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRDRODD; 01-06-2019 at 07:10 PM.

  8. #16
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,830
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 422 Times in 342 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    The barrel should arc/orbit/[turn] ....



    It's simple the double pendulum. The barrel arcs as the hands are the rotational point or pivot point. The barrel is arcing over the entire swing as the hands are a rotational point.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  9. #17
    Certified softball maniac FP26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,680
    Thanks
    1,938
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboi22 View Post
    What is your opinion of what the barrel should do? Any visuals would help. I am struggling to understand what some absolutes are when looking to achieve the high level swing for my DD. Thanks in advance.
    Check out the attached link and see if it helps...

    https://youtu.be/N0_RPmPlrxM
    "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to FP26 For This Useful Post:

    4 girl's dad (01-06-2019)

  11. #18
    Clueless.. pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 885 Times in 585 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly Rdbass says something like turn the barrel while going or to go forward, The bad visual is for the hands to remain back and snapping the barrel rearward with the hands still back. The bad visual also creates the lag poaition with the hands still back behind the rear shoulder,

    Rdbass say it better then what I'm remembering.
    Turn it forward. That demonstration by SB ,as well as those by TM, are drills to exaggerate a certain feel which many amateurs are missing in their swings...

  12. #19
    I can talk softball all day Mudders Brudder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    309
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 184 Times in 117 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRDRODD View Post
    I fell into that trap with my DD, of TTB without any direction in mind. IMO the hands must have a direction in mind to allow TTB to be effective. Without the direction you just have an elevated case of DBSF. The barrel is just arches around the hands as direction is being fulfilled.

    Edit to add: you must keep in mind contact locations. A lot of people will use images like FFS posted to demonstrate TTB because it is easy to see, which is an outside pitch... an inside pitch will look different.
    This is/was quite common in the early days of TTB, as the instruction was to turn it "rearward" which confused a lot of folks hearing/seeing it for the first time (myself included). This is because "rearward" was first "bonk the catcher on the head", then "rearward to the dugout behind you", and it was quite sometime before "turn it forward" or "turn it towards the ball" started making it a little easier to understand...even though we had clips like these....

    ...which because they were two-dimensional made it look like "rearward" was towards the catcher, instead of really the "forward" to the ball.

    I used TTB "behind and through" the ball in the interim of the "rearward" to "forward" transition which worked...and still does today. In fact, I kind of stopped talking to my hitters about TTB initially, but rather talked about getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball, showed them the path, and then asked them to show me how that would accomplish that. Some actually should the TTB path to do it, while others needed a little more prompting, and that's when the words TTB were introduced.

    Looking at the three clips above, I think the "behind and through" path is pretty easy to see even in the two-dimensional format given.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mudders Brudder For This Useful Post:

    FiveFrameSwing (01-07-2019), Shawn (01-06-2019)

  14. #20
    Softball Junkie DRDRODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 211 Times in 133 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudders Brudder View Post
    This is/was quite common in the early days of TTB, as the instruction was to turn it "rearward" which confused a lot of folks hearing/seeing it for the first time (myself included). This is because "rearward" was first "bonk the catcher on the head", then "rearward to the dugout behind you", and it was quite sometime before "turn it forward" or "turn it towards the ball" started making it a little easier to understand...even though we had clips like these....

    ...which because they were two-dimensional made it look like "rearward" was towards the catcher, instead of really the "forward" to the ball.

    I used TTB "behind and through" the ball in the interim of the "rearward" to "forward" transition which worked...and still does today. In fact, I kind of stopped talking to my hitters about TTB initially, but rather talked about getting the barrel "behind and through" the ball, showed them the path, and then asked them to show me how that would accomplish that. Some actually should the TTB path to do it, while others needed a little more prompting, and that's when the words TTB were introduced.

    Looking at the three clips above, I think the "behind and through" path is pretty easy to see even in the two-dimensional format given.
    Good post MB.... I also like the phrase get behind the ball and find myself saying only that to my DD, now that TTB is part of her DNA lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to DRDRODD For This Useful Post:

    FiveFrameSwing (01-07-2019)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •