Your thoughts on icing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
Dd been pitching for 3 years, rec, travel a and b. She pitched 6/7 inning games, cold and hot weather ect. She is in 7th grade and made her jv team. Her and her friend are the 1 and 1a pitchers for the team. Today was raining on and off, kind of windy, not warm but not bitter cold but not ideal conditions.

They played with 8, no cf, she pitched all 7, but threw 145 pitches. Coach told my wife to ice her arm. She responded we never iced her arm unless she complained of sorness (only once in 3 years), we usually stretch. Coach says better start icing after tough games or her career is not gonna last long.

She never threw that many before in a game. Could be the 43', facing a tough team with mostly 9th and 10th graders. Not having her best stuff ect ect.

Whats your take on icing at a young age?

She was mentally drained after the game, each batter was a challange because she didnt have her "A" stuff. Proud the kid didnt want out or give in.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I can't wait to hear the answers you get for this one. I never iced. Never hurt my arm either, but I did do the hot whirl pool tub in the Navy, because we had a tub.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Dd been pitching for 3 years, rec, travel a and b. She pitched 6/7 inning games, cold and hot weather ect. She is in 7th grade and made her jv team. Her and her friend are the 1 and 1a pitchers for the team. Today was raining on and off, kind of windy, not warm but not bitter cold but not ideal conditions.

They played with 8, no cf, she pitched all 7, but threw 145 pitches. Coach told my wife to ice her arm. She responded we never iced her arm unless she complained of sorness (only once in 3 years), we usually stretch. Coach says better start icing after tough games or her career is not gonna last long.

She never threw that many before in a game. Could be the 43', facing a tough team with mostly 9th and 10th graders. Not having her best stuff ect ect.

Whats your take on icing at a young age?

She was mentally drained after the game, each batter was a challange because she didnt have her "A" stuff. Proud the kid didnt want out or give in.

Its like spending the night in an AC'ed hotel, then giving lectures on drinking lots of water to stay hydrated.... (wrong...IMHO)

Apr 13, 2013
Last year DD all of a sudden starting throwing more than she was trained/ used too. She started icing her Arm after games. IDK know if it helped but I have never heard that it could hurt anything.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd only ices when she feels soreness, which is rare. She is 15 now and has pitched since she was 9.

On more then one occasion she has pitched more then 145 pitches in a day, without ice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877