Young Girls Swing advice needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dd=darling daughter, well most of the time it does.

Go to hitting technical, there is a current thread on the back elbow. Also in that section is "model swings", 50 some pages of gifs of the best softball hitters.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach relaxed elbows, not elbow up.

Hitting is the same as an infield throw. It is easier if you just try it. In the box, at the plate, try an infield throw. Then, start the infield throw, but replace the bat with a ball. There may be some You Tubes by Mike Candrea on this.

Also, you want to research who the softball gurus are at the universities, at the clinics, and on this board. PM people and ask who they are. I don't mind giving you my name.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not to take this another direction, but I am sitting waiting for soccer dd's game to start.

I am not a fan of Enea's swing. She strides long and ends up about on the ground. I use Caitlyn Benyi and Megan Bush.

Ok...sorry, trying to post vid of both of them and my iphone screen is playing keep away with me.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Here is O'Leary's page on comparing baseball and softball swing. It has Megan Bush on it. I have the RVP app, it has Megan Bush also. My complaint of the RVP app is 3/4 of the swings are of players with good swings, but crappy examples. Megan's swing is way early, hitting the ball way out front. I am guessing it went foul. Some of the others are low pitches, way inside, and etc. RVP, couldn't you just throw front toss and video each girls best swing?

The High-Level Swing

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I always like to point new posters to the Megan1-Tee post started by immortal1. This should help get you started. Congrats. on giving 4 girls a special gift. My brother adopted a baby girl last year. Read throw the tech hitting and the prac.hitting post most of the answers are there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot of great and friendly poster on this site.

Sep 7, 2012
I always like to point new posters to the Megan1-Tee post started by immortal1. This should help get you started. Congrats. on giving 4 girls a special gift. My brother adopted a baby girl last year. Read throw the tech hitting and the prac.hitting post most of the answers are there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot of great and friendly poster on this site.

Thank you guys for some examples. I have done some serious research and found that the softball and baseball swings are much more similar than I thought. The Megan-T1??? thread was very helpful.

Living here in cold Nebraska winters, I just want to make sure they keep up their learning, hence myself as well. I have three of my four girls (reminder 4,5,6, and 7 years old) who completely cast and put too much weight on their front side. I have always emphasized having fun, but we are going to get a little more "serious" in it this winter.

The one device I am pretty sold on is the insider bat. I also use the chuck-it drill when the weather is warm. Are there any other training aids meant for beginners that you would recommend? I am as open as can be to advice.

Thanks

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I didn't mean to say the baseball/softball swings were complete opposites. Sorry. I just see a few differences that I had to overcome.

What differences do you see?

Most people who discuss hitting on this board believe the baseball and fastpitch swings are the same. If you see differences, you might want to hear their rebuttals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00