Young Girls Swing advice needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 21, 2012
New England
Thank you guys for some examples. I have done some serious research and found that the softball and baseball swings are much more similar than I thought. The Megan-T1??? thread was very helpful.

Living here in cold Nebraska winters, I just want to make sure they keep up their learning, hence myself as well. I have three of my four girls (reminder 4,5,6, and 7 years old) who completely cast and put too much weight on their front side. I have always emphasized having fun, but we are going to get a little more "serious" in it this winter.

The one device I am pretty sold on is the insider bat. I also use the chuck-it drill when the weather is warm. Are there any other training aids meant for beginners that you would recommend? I am as open as can be to advice.

Thanks

At that age, a fun drill for for them would be to grab a whiffle ball bat and set up a stuffed animal (Elmo or Barney work well) on a stool or some buckets about 10 or 15 feet away, in line with pitcher, and have them throw the bat and see how many times they can knock Elmo off. Make it a game, each get 10 swings/throws.
Also use to do this with throwing the ball to first. Set Elmo up on a couple of buckets at first base, roll some ground balls to them and have fun!
At that age, you have about 5 or 10 minutes of attention span. If you try to get too serious you can cut that time in half. It has to be fun or your going to be talking to yourself a lot.
Good luck and enjoy every minute!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00