Wwyd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
Just wondering if this is common practice. DD plays on a 10B team. #1 pitcher was out for the tournament so HC brought in a guest pitcher. The team had 3 other pitchers available. Obviously if you bring in a guest they have to get circle time. I am wondering if this is something I should expect on all teams and just get over the feeling of disgust that I have and also the feeling of hurt I have in the coaches complete lack of confidence in these kids, which includes my dd. The first day the guest was not better than any of the pitchers on the team and she actually lied and said we didn't need a guest and had someone she felt was better come in the next day. When my dd does get circle time coach always tells her she is on a short leash and will get pulled quickly and she is completely in her head. I am not sure why the coach asked my dd to join if she doesn't think she is good enough for her team and I am having a real hard time biting my tongue and sticking it out for the rest of the season, but I don't want people to think we are team jumpers and whiners either. This is a real tough spot.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Sounds like a typical "Trophy Hunter" situation to me. Whenever your #1 is out, in my opinion, its a perfect time to develop #2, #3, and #4. Some coaches measure the success of their team by how m
many cheap plastic trophy's they haul home.
Unfortunately Travel Ball is full of glory hunters like that. It kind of goes with the territory.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
A 10 U team that does not want to develop their own players? RUN RUN RUN
Team jumping is not the issue. Find the right spot for your 10 year old to learn and grow.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I only pull guest players if I need a player to field a team for the weekend.

I have coached on a team where I had a #1 pitcher and then a whole bunch of #3's - including girls who were not developing because they were not putting the effort in. I have pulled in a guest pitcher in this case - but I have also communicated extremely clearly why I am doing so.

In the end it is the communication to the team of why and how it is being down that is critical.

Jul 4, 2012
OP, your take on the situation seems balanced, and it would seem that you have reason for concern. Just curious, can pitcher 2, 3 and 4 throw strikes? Unfortunately, a lot of pitchers at 10u walk and walk and walk batters - not good for your team or the opponent. If the other pitchers including your DD can keep it from being a walkfest, you don't need a pickup pitcher. 10u is for development, and a coach that picks up ringers should be avoided.

As a side note, it is going to be difficult for a team to develop four pitchers especially with the "winning" goals of your coach. If this continues, don't worry about people's perception of you whining. Voice your concerns to the coach directly. Do it professionally, and if it doesn't change, move on. If it's mid-season, make sure your DD is available to play if her absence keeps the rest of the team from not having enough.

Jan 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies. We joined this team after the fall season, we are new to the travel world. I was under the impression that my dd would be the number 2 on the team, we wouldn't have joined otherwise. I now realize the coach was adding us just in case my dd ended up being better than the other kids. All 3 girls have already proven themselves as proficient pitchers in this age group. It is my personal feeling that number 2 is better than number 1 in game situations, but number 1 is the coaches pet. 3 and 4 up to far with some #1s we have seen, these are probably pitchers from c teams playing up. Coach happens to be a woman, really hates losing. We had already planned to look for a new team after the season, the coach clearly lacks confidence in my daughter and I am not sure why. We will not rest until we are on a team where dd is 1 or 2. I was living with it until this whole situation occurred. It is the straw that broke the camels back and makes me want to leave before the season ends. We only have 4 tournies left I am trying to grit my teeth and bear it. My dd is a better overall player so the season wasn't a total wash. B

Aug 9, 2013
I guess the question to me is whether he put the pickup player as number 1 in the rotation or number 4. If he brought her in as a number 1, I would not be happy having 2,3 or 4. But if it was to have a 4th arm available for a long weekend, I think it's fine to me.

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for the replies. We joined this team after the fall season, we are new to the travel world. I was under the impression that my dd would be the number 2 on the team, we wouldn't have joined otherwise.

Did the coach set that expectation with you or was that your wish? Does she take private lessons? How often is she pitching? I set expectations with all my possible pitchers (first year 10UC level team) Clear #1 and #2 - 3/4/5 all get time. 6/7/8 have not gotten as much but they are 9's and continuing to work hard on the side to be ready for next year. I think communication is a 2 way street.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog