WWYD: ethics of warranty replacement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I have found that my attitude can often affect the level of cooperation I get from customer service personnel, and asking for help is usually more successful than demanding it. That said, sometimes customer service people are just jerks.

I was VERY nice and she was not very accommodating. Oh well - it worked out in the end...

Feb 21, 2012
This has already been stated by others, but when we found a crack in the handle of my older DD's DeMarini CF5 32/21, the rep advised a 32/22. Honestly I was a bit apprehensive that she wouldn't like the extra weight, but it was probably time for it anyway.
They would have let me stay with the original size or go up, but they were advising the 32/22.

May 9, 2014
Why is that?

Manufacturers don't care what you swing or buy to be honest.

Because the lighter the bat the more fragile. a -13 is going to be less durable than a -10

My kids are small, so they haven't broke anything yet, but I can tell that the -13 and -12 feel fragile. I am shocked they don't crumble, but both have sent multiple hits out to the grass and so far so good.

The less fragile, the less likely to break and end up with a warranty replacement or unhappy customer telling people not to buy bat X.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Would you request the next size up? Or would that be considered poor form?

If your DD is ready for a longer bat there is no harm in asking for one when you send it in for a warranty replacement. If they send you the larger size, great, if they don't just sell it on Ebay and buy the next size up!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Because the lighter the bat the more fragile. a -13 is going to be less durable than a -10

My kids are small, so they haven't broke anything yet, but I can tell that the -13 and -12 feel fragile. I am shocked they don't crumble, but both have sent multiple hits out to the grass and so far so good.

The less fragile, the less likely to break and end up with a warranty replacement or unhappy customer telling people not to buy bat X.

Manufacturers could care less what you swing. They make the lighter weights because its a expanded market they can sell to. Also, they can give the top line performance into an age bracket that didn't used to have that option. It doesn't matter to them how fast your daughter gets to a -10. The lighter bats feel fragile to you because your a grown man swinging it...so hence, feels light and less sturdy. There is a reason they don't just "crumble". They are made for smaller girls hitting balls thrown by smaller girls. For them, the bats are perfect. Of course the bats aren't made for a parent to go out and hit BP or for a 16yo to hit 50-60mph pitches. As you said yourself...your smaller girls are hitting well with them and no issue. Sounds like its working like it should be.

Bat replacement is part of the game anymore. Manufacturers expect a certain percentage to send out.

Mar 21, 2013
Don't know why they should care as it doesn't affect them one way or the other. A 30/20 costs the same as a 31/21 so what's the big deal? Even if you do intentionaly break the bat to move up in size the cost of the bat is the same either way, no?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06