Wrong leggedness of the leap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was looking for a skipping video and came across this high knees skipping video. Wondering if this would be a good exercise to do to get the feeling of driving out?

http://youtu.be/_GdoirXLdXE

Looks more like the girl in the video is "running above" rather than getting a push off the ground. Less of a skip and more of a running light technique. I was thinking more like this. http://youtu.be/zOV7CcooU_U

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
One of my students was exactally what JJ asked about, a right handed pitcher that is left leg dominate. Without this post I would have never even guessed, thanks JJ. We did the fall into the sprint drill today with good results. I'm excited to see what a few weeks of ploys helps her.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Looks more like the girl in the video is "running above" rather than getting a push off the ground. Less of a skip and more of a running light technique. I was thinking more like this. http://youtu.be/zOV7CcooU_U

That's exactly the video I use as a reference! Too cool. Great plyo.

Q,

On plant, I've seen the squat to gather... be a result of early external rotation... which leads to a motion like crowhopping. Somewhere in the DM sticky I referenced a kid that does this in one of the Flaws and Fixes post. Have a look at that and let me know if we are on the same page...

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY

Good finds, Ken. One note... don't take the pistol any deeper than 90. Down is about stability... keep the knee over the foot... no valgus. Up is about explosive power... go through the top of the jump. Rinse and repeat. Sets of 6 reps... 3 sets.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
OK... from my immediate "applicational" response (check times) I am coining the Term FFS. Front Feet Stretch. I am proceeding on this "Mission to Mars" :cool: Meet you @ the SpaceStation on my Return :cool:

EP: Just got phone call about term.... I'm amending FFS to also mean Feet First Sir's :cool: in the KISS tradition.

So we tried it today... DD likes it. When she got home, I showed her she would have to give up the slide. I said its no different than being opened or closed in a stance. Looking Forward... ????

Wk_5.gif

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
dd went to a proswings camp this weekend. They had her doing some kind of power skipping working on drive (I didn't see it she told me about it). Right before she went to camp I asked her to try thinking of skipping outward off the plate the idea being to fire the front foot much quicker before the stride leg is fully extended (thank u KK, KB and Java!) this seemed to click with her and having the proswings coaches reinforce the skipping angle helped. (She's heard "push off quicker" but it never clicked before) she needed a feeling to associate pushing quicker and skipping is helping. I can see how maybe some people won't like the skipping reference because they might think it will turn her into an illegal skipper ....but I don't think I have to worry about it with my dd.

Yesterday she was working on skipping out. Also PC recommended working on drops with the "drop posture" (to help with leaning to far back at the end of pitch) once she got it there was an immediate speed increase, and she was able to duplicate it for the rest of the practice, her "drop" is regular fastball posture but since she's so used to leaning back she said it felt to her like she was too far over her front foot at release, she wasn't. I think the speed increase was more do to the upright posture at the end but then sometimes she would get the drive right and the glove would really pop. she was so happy it was nice to see her not getting frustrated and having fun pitching again!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
So we tried it today... DD likes it. When she got home, I showed her she would have to give up the slide. I said its no different than being opened or closed in a stance. Looking Forward... ????

Wk_5.gif

I don't see the benefit? She give's up any advantage she could have gained by using the 2 Step. The ability to get the quick transfer and powerful load is minimized with the feet even. What is the intent here?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez