Wow! High School Softball Contract

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It's kind of funny how that's changed around here. In my area, there are two solutions. One is that the coaches take their teams south for the week, which becomes a kind of vacation coupled with an opportunity to get out on the fields while others are still battling the cold. The rest are tending not to schedule games during spring break anymore. I guess they couldn't get enough compliance, even with the threat of sitting out. Or they lost their star players for a few games and decided to change it.

I'm never thrilled when players go out of town. But sometimes it can't be helped. If a kid has an opportunity to go to Italy for a week in the summer through her high school I can see why she would.

HS coaches are lucky. They only have to contend with spring break. Travel coaches have to deal with school trips, other sports, high school tryouts or camps, mission trips with the church and all sorts of other things. Or just not take those kids.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Many of these things, absence, not being productive, failing "grades", fighting among members, insubordination, not following orders.............will get you fired in the real world. Are we really scared to teach those lessons to our youth? There was a time when we weren't.

I don't think the argument is either/or. It's certainly not with me. It's more a matter of degree to me. Falling grades means you don't play. You don't practice. You don't participate. You sit at practice and you study. To me, that's far more productive than running hills or poles.

Look at it from the other side. If you are late to work will you be fired? No, unless it's happening all the time. Will you be made to do run poles or do sit-ups so you "learn?" Probably not. If you were you wouldn't stay at that job long. If there is a punishment it's that your pay is docked. That's the reality. If you're not productive you lose your job - the equivalent of being kicked off the team.

If you are insubordinate, you probably get to spend some time with HR being re-educated. Or with the boss if it's a small company. You could be arrested for fighting in the workplace, depending on the severity. If it's nothing major you get a reprimand, and maybe a black mark on your record.

To me, teaching life lessons does not give a coach carte blanche to do whatever he/she wants just because he/she can. The only thing the kids are likely to learn when you go over the top is that you're a jerk. (Not directed at you, GD, by the way. I use "you" in the general sense.)

Oct 18, 2009
Whatever these coaches are doing the program seems to be pretty successful. I don't think that team worries about grades too much.

https://twitter.com/ladyreddevilsb

They have a team GPA of 3.56 and 11 Academic All-America Scholar Athletes. Not too shabby for control freak coaches who think the wins are theirs.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Cannon:
The rules about length of practice can't be foreign to you. They limit the season, how many kids you can coach off season, and all kinds of things. It was not softball that started those rules, but football, when coaches tried to practice more than the other guy, took two a days to the extreme, or kids started passing out in the heat, etc. My district has a 2-hour limit on practice with a longer limit on Saturdays. I am sorry that I don't feel like googling every district or state in the country. Those rulebooks are long!

Cannonball is familiar with Illinois. I asked about in-season limitations. Out of season is well known, albeit not well understood.

BTW - you won't find any in-season limitations regarding softball practice so they aren't foreign, there are none at the state level. If you can find a team to play on Sunday...have at it. 4-hour practice on Sunday in-season, the IHSA won't say a word.

In Illinois they leave it to the local school board or AD to determine what is and what isn't acceptable, which is the way it should be.

BTW (times 2), In Illinois the IESA (junior high) no longer regulates even in season participation on "other" teams. If you want to play/practice with your travel team on the weekends, go for it, as far as the IESA is concerned.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Whatever these coaches are doing the program seems to be pretty successful. I don't think that team worries about grades too much.

https://twitter.com/ladyreddevilsb

They have a team GPA of 3.56 and 11 Academic All-America Scholar Athletes. Not too shabby for control freak coaches who think the wins are theirs.

BTW - it's a new coach now. The coach in 2012 got out of softball coaching because.....he was promoted to asst. principal and wanted to spend his time on the Admin side.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ken and OILF.

The bottom line is we don't know how troubled this program might have been in the past. Sometimes drastic history can only be matched with drastic measures. I was a pretty head strong athlete in my youth. Guess what got my attention, physical punishment. Licks from our 6'4 300 pound football coach, or running the track for a mile.........I hated it. I've posted this before, this is my football/powerlifting coach with the the mask, break his rules and he'd break you backside.
2dc64573ceb53122e01d3f24409f1a34_zps111920dd.jpg
[/IMG]

Sit me out a game, make me study during practice? In my situation, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. As a mid relief pitcher and one of the best sticks in the order, it's going to hurt you more than me. So "punishment" is a way of hurting me, without hurting the team.

If this school puts these measures in place, I'd bet they are for good reason.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Goingdeep -

Change subjects a little, a team in my area (Mahomet) just played the world famous Munford High. They traveled to TN on spring break. No vacation for them other than a softball vacation.

They had lost a ton of Sr's from last year including their Div. 1 pitcher so, as expected, it wasn't much of a game(s).

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The discussion was on in season practice length and not out of season regulations. Brian is correct that I have only coached HS in Illinois and for 28 total years. However, I have been asked to speak on various coaching topic for some 20 years and in various states. I have also been a moderator of 2 national websites for a very long time. I am always being asked about all facets of coaching. Brian, you might not realize it but I once moderated IHSS as well in the very early days. (I think for about a month or two. lol) In all that time, and other than football, I never heard of any state that placed length of practice regulations on coaches. Believe me, I know a lot of coaches throughout the United States. Thus the reason I asked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619