Would you consider your team AA and would you be proud of this win?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
This has nothing to do with my dd or her team...it's a situation I heard about and was wondering what an outsiders take would be on it.

4th season 02 10u tb team. Just one runner up bb bracket win ever...last spring. Entering tournaments as a AA team this season (bb previous seasons) and lost 2, but this weekend pool play determined brackets. They picked up a catcher and pitcher from a solid AA 02 team even though they had 9 of their own ( including 2 pitchers and 1 catcher)and lost both pool games to 03 teams. They played pickups over their players and won 2 bracket games to two 03 bb teams and made it to the championship. However, tournament is called before the championship because of weather, and the game that determines who would play in championship with them couldnt be played either. So they are called the "champions" and apparently the coaches are gloating about it big time...numerous pics and facebook updates etc. The friend that told me this story is a coach as well and thinks they should be hanging their heads. What do you think?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I think I don't know what a bb or an aa team is.

I also don't care what a coach posts on Facebook

Agree, what is an AA team? I know the slow pitch game has a load of AA teams, but I doubt it is the same for youth ball. :)

Apr 19, 2011
I honestly don't know why they are classified that way...maybe it's just our area (south east?) I would say it should be A, B, C and D, but I have seen it go A, AA, B, BB and then C and D in bigger tournaments. I'm just a parent and new to all this softball stuff, so I thought I would ask the experts. Can do without the smart rear comments though. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I live in the southeast, played in almost every state here, and never seen a class AA/BB. Maybe the other guy is an old baseball guy? AA is a baseball travel classification, so that might be where the mis-information has come from.

Don't get sucked up in the whole Facebook thing. There have been many times ive seen a post with someone bragging about nothing, and it's taken all in me to just stay out of it. For years our rivals in TB and school ball post some pretty strong comments, I prefer to just settle it on the field. :)

May 18, 2009
Don't worry about the little stuff. Let them enjoy their moment. It might be the only one they have this year. The important part is did the kids have fun playing!

Mar 13, 2010
Yes how dare little girls celebrate a tournament win! The gall of them!

They won there way into the championship game and due to circumstances beyond their control were declared winners. Why WOULDN'T they celebrate?

And I see no issues with them picking up so they have more than the bare minimum. What happens if someone is injured, can't make a certain game, someone is tired? I'd have an issue if they had no pick up players.

Apr 19, 2011
I agree, but I'm a parent, not a coach. I wasn't sure about this coaches point of view and the conversation was just nagging at me, I guess. I don't think pick ups were an issue, but HOW and when they were played. They played their 9 in pool games that determined the bracket that they fall into, but they brought out the ringers in the bracket games and stomped all over the younger teams. It was of course a team effort, but it wasn't this coach's pitcher and catcher and he relied on them heavily in the games that counted. He felt the coaches (not the girls) shouldn't be bragging about the win because it wasn't his coaching that got them the wins. Thre has been some talk that this coach is doing a disservice to his team and the girls were regressing. The core of the group stays on out of loyalty and guilt...meanwhile the organization is getting a bad rap and were thinking of replacing the coach but may reconsider after this win.I feel the girls needed the win to boost their confidence after the terrible losing streak they have been on. I can see his point of view, but questioned why he was so bent out of shape about it. I'm a woman... I over think things.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
A coach is always doing a disservice to his team when they pick up non-rostered players and bench those who have paid and committed to the season. Is one thing to pick up so you can play, it's another to upgrade your team and bench those who pay to be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG