Worst (over-hand) throwing drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
just finished the throwing sticky and realized how little i know about teaching throwing. i can do it but did not know how to teach it. will be making some water bottle balls. my younger dds were at a clinic recently and being taught to throw by holding their throwing arm up by the elbow with their other hand and flicking the ball like a dart. i didn't question it until tonight. now have to try and undo it :(

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ That drill may be the worst ever. It is right up there with standing and stretching your arm, by pulling it across your chest.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We do the above drill in our throwing progression minus the dart like throw. We have them snap their wrist spinning the ball 6/12. Guess I need to read the throwing thread too and get back to the drawing board with our throwing progression.

Aug 5, 2012
I saw Ken Ericksen (USF & Team USA) once say he hates how rampant wrist snaps are in throwing warm ups, especially when they put the glove on the throwing elbow. He went on to say that the snap happens out in front, so why would anyone practice snapping from the ear (throwing darts).