Working on hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
There is a lot of good I see in this swing. She looks like a strong and athletic young player.

I'm not seeing the hands dragging, I'm seeing them pushing, and the release is happening too far out front. Understanding the feeling of the whip happening deeper in the swing might be helpful.

I agree that the head movement should also be addressed.

Eric I actually noticed that also that her swing seems to be lacking that whip effect but I am not sure if it due to a late release or am I way off track by saying late release and being out front are the same? I am wondering if it may be due to the lead arm traveling to far or something to that nature. I have been watching some of Dr. Yeagers stuff and that got me thinking maybe it could be due to a lack of deceleration or something like that what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
DRDrodd....if you listen to all this BS ..FFS will have you doing all kinds of moronic stuff and you won't understand half of his babble. Now I gave you sound advice if you choose not to use it then that's going to be your problem. Teaching by mass opinions doesn't work. Fix the head lean and be happy! Then move on from there. She has a lot of the hard stuff down.

Nov 29, 2011
A little Mike Trout! Don't change anything now (other than head). I would focus on her being able to hit ALL pitch locations, to ALL fields, from her current mechanics (squaring it up).

Note: Her attack angle is very flat to down a degree or two, this is why the low line drives and grounders

Note: Looks very athletic and natural, you may never have to coach her :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't see a push. She could get deeper but no push.

I'm seeing the hands pushing forward (0:32-0:33), and getting ahead of the RVP connection point a bit too soon. My preference would be to see the hand pivot point near the rear shoulder just a little bit longer as the bat starts to come around the shoulder. In reality, it's a very small timing adjustment.

If you're seeing things a different way, that's fine.

As I said before, there's a lot of good stuff happening in this swing.

Nov 29, 2011
I am on Team Rampage on this one. Her hands are fine, everything is fine..... TONS of front toss to all locations and see if we have any break downs in mechanics on being able to get to the inside of the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric I am of the opinion that rvp is a utter joke. Could care less about that...she is 12... Has a dad that knows nothing and is a beginner. That's cool. Her swing is top 80 percentile imo. All this back and forth rvp, push this, forearm that. It's a freaking joke. No offense to you Eric

It's discussion. For some people, it's educational. If you don't like technical swing discussion, maybe this isn't the section for you. That said, your opinion that all the tech talk is BS is just as valid as any other opinion.

No offense? Hmmm...your previous comment directed at me was pretty clearly intending to be offensive. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's cool. If you don't like the way I present my opinion, that's fine too. Outright insults are really unnecessary.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
It's discussion. For some people, it's educational. If you don't like technical swing discussion, maybe this isn't the section for you. That said, your opinion that all the tech talk is BS is just as valid as any other opinion.

No offense? Hmmm...your previous comment directed at me was pretty clearly intending to be offensive. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's cool. If you don't like the way I present my opinion, that's fine too. Outright insults are really unnecessary.

Toughen up Eric and I meant no offense to you! And I'll be the judge of whats right for me. Thanks!

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
I just reread my post and I said nothing personal or mean ( to Eric ) Only a P**** would have been offended. You figure it out!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
There is a lot of good I see in this swing. She looks like a strong and athletic young player.

I'm not seeing the hands dragging, I'm seeing them pushing, and the release is happening too far out front. Understanding the feeling of the whip happening deeper in the swing might be helpful.

I agree that the head movement should also be addressed.

Good post Eric. Hand assisted whip from swingbuilder.

for those that use the "throwing" analogy, think of using a "roundhouse curve" instead of a fastball analogy.

Five and SB seem to be getting further apart these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1