Working on correct spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In an earlier post, Rick Pauly said, "so as far as physics is concerned a 12/6 dropball will have an axis that is horizontal to the ground.."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an 11-7 rotation be closer to horizontal than vertical (to the ground)?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Perpendicular? To what?

The direction of travel. Thanks for the catch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 12-6 ball rotation has an axis that is horizontal to the ground. A 11-7 would be closer to horizontal than vertical (to the ground).

Yes--12/6 is parallel to the ground. 11/7--was a typo. I'm not sure it's even possible?:)

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
My 11 yo DD gets the same spin (10-4 )when she throws fb outside. It moves a little and its effective, I'm debating whether to fix it or just go with it.

Jan 18, 2011
If it's effective, I wouldn't fix it. You don't fix what ain't broke. Maybe just work on the inside FB, what spin is on that? I'm assuming RH pitcher and Pitcher's view of the ball.

Jul 17, 2012
In an earlier post, Rick Pauly said, "so as far as physics is concerned a 12/6 dropball will have an axis that is horizontal to the ground.."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an 11-7 rotation be closer to horizontal than vertical (to the ground)?

Rick refers to the ball moving perpendicular to the AXIS of the spin. The Axis is the Line at which an object rotates. Picture a Nut and Bolt. As you spin the nut onto the bolt, the axis of that rotating nut would be on a line with the bolt. Same with a car.. the axis of the rotating wheel is the Axle of the vehicle.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We need to standardize direction terminology on the board and use one reference perspective. I get lost on each spin description. I picture everything from the catcher's perspective using a right handed pitcher but I swear I see descriptions that must use a bird's eye view of a three armed pitcher.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Rick refers to the ball moving perpendicular to the AXIS of the spin. The Axis is the Line at which an object rotates. Picture a Nut and Bolt. As you spin the nut onto the bolt, the axis of that rotating nut would be on a line with the bolt. Same with a car.. the axis of the rotating wheel is the Axle of the vehicle.

I was referring to the axis in the way you describe it. Of course the ball moves perpendicular to the axis.

May 31, 2012
If it's effective, I wouldn't fix it. You don't fix what ain't broke. Maybe just work on the inside FB, what spin is on that? I'm assuming RH pitcher and Pitcher's view of the ball.
My DD inside fb has bullet spin half the time and 12-6 angled towards rh batter half the time.

Jun 18, 2010
We need to standardize direction terminology on the board and use one reference perspective. I get lost on each spin description. I picture everything from the catcher's perspective using a right handed pitcher but I swear I see descriptions that must use a bird's eye view of a three armed pitcher.

Me too.

sb_clock_zps911e89fd.png

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd