Wooden Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
ian, I agree with the premise that a heavier bat, given some common sense, helped my my daughter's body/body position in the swing stronger. I've posted video so many times of her at early ages hitting with wood so I don't want to bore anyone again with that but I'm a believer in wood. When she went to college, she took her wood bat. It wasn't long before Coach had everyone swinging wood.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Anyways getting back to your point, I have always heard that heavier bats will break down mechanics but have always wondered why? Sure the player wont be able to swing as fast. But what specific mechanics do you see breakdown when players use a bat that is too big. I would think a heavy bat would make it harder to keep the bat at a 45 behind their head to start. I think the player would probably keep the heavy bat vertical in a unweighted position to start. I think a heavy bat would also be more difficult to drop level and swing flat. My guess would be that a heavy bat might help keep the body in a 'strong position'. But im just thinking out loud.

Lay some knowledge down for those that might consider using a wood bad.

From my own observations with younger players, the increased forces involved with swinging a significantly heavier bat can pull a hitter's arms/hands into positions that aren't ideal. A heavier bat will tend to magnify a player's DBSF and bat drag issues. Swinging the bat level to the ground isn't necessarily a weak position, it's not ideal because a DBSF swing is a long hand path with poor adjustability. Once a player has an understanding of a good swing pattern, a heavy bat can be very beneficial for reinforcing and building strength for the correct movements.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
From my own observations with younger players, the increased forces involved with swinging a significantly heavier bat can pull a hitter's arms/hands into positions that aren't ideal. A heavier bat will tend to magnify a player's DBSF and bat drag issues. Swinging the bat level to the ground isn't necessarily a weak position, it's not ideal because a DBSF swing is a long hand path with poor adjustability. Once a player has an understanding of a good swing pattern, a heavy bat can be very beneficial for reinforcing and building strength for the correct movements.

Or to put it another way, if you have the technique and strength to consistently create a good swing pattern with a heavier bat, the swing pattern can easily be replicated with a lighter bat. The converse may not be true. Working with the heavier bat exposes swing flaws often masked by lighter bats, especially the drop 11-13s

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
i just picked up a camwood.com wood bat and I am very impressed with it. 12yr old DD swings a 34-24 so I got the 34 inch bat, comes as 40 ounces :) But does not swing like 40 ounces. She loves it, sore core too after a session. Able to hit live pitching, machine or heavy balls. Thumbs up from me :)

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
i just picked up a camwoodbats.com wood bat and I am very impressed with it. 12yr old DD swings a 34-24 so I got the 34 inch bat, comes as 40 ounces :) But does not swing like 40 ounces. She loves it, sore core too after a session. Able to hit live pitching, machine or heavy balls. Thumbs up from me :)

Dec 11, 2010
i just picked up a camwoodbats.com wood bat and I am very impressed with it. 12yr old DD swings a 34-24 so I got the 34 inch bat, comes as 40 ounces :) But does not swing like 40 ounces. She loves it, sore core too after a session. Able to hit live pitching, machine or heavy balls. Thumbs up from me :)

I would love to hear more reports about this bat!

May 12, 2014
The wooden bat that I ordered arrived today. I thought I was getting a 33/30....but, they sent a 32/29 instead. As you know she's moving to a 33/23. Will that size wooden bat still serve a purpose?