Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Have been writing about the situation too figure out solution!
Many posts!

You brought up numbers about 50 pages ago LOL tried to ask you for exactly your numbers thankfully you came around in a few days to offer some 😁
I gave a per day max a week ago..

May 27, 2013
?? Have you done some research on RTC repairs to show if it is escalating and to what degree??
Cannot imagine that has gone overlooked as far as medical statistics.
Quantity of surgeries for everything Etc

First off, I was being facetious but I have actually done lit reviews which discuss RTC injuries from overuse in SB pitchers. However, not much research has been done until recent years to even identify this as an issue. I can therefore make an educated assumption that there is probably an increased number of arthroscopic procedures related to this.

I have seen a few posters on here mention that their kids have torn labrums and surgery was presented as an option. I know 2 girls personally who had it done. With such a small sample size, it’s probably not enough to convince others but it is enough to convince me.

I absolutely believe more research should be done but when there isn’t much of a career to be made for a SB pitcher the interest and money just aren’t there. People can live a long life without ever getting a torn labrum or RTC repaired. Doesn’t mean their quality of life won’t be impacted, however.

May 13, 2023
First off, I was being facetious but I have actually done lit reviews which discuss RTC injuries from overuse in SB pitchers. However, not much research has been done until recent years to even identify this as an issue. I can therefore make an educated assumption that there is probably an increased number of arthroscopic procedures related to this.

I have seen a few posters on here mention that their kids have torn labrums and surgery was presented as an option. I know 2 girls personally who had it done. With such a small sample size, it’s probably not enough to convince others but it is enough to convince me.

I absolutely believe more research should be done but when there isn’t much of a career to be made for a SB pitcher the interest and money just aren’t there. People can live a long life without ever getting a torn labrum or RTC repaired. Doesn’t mean their quality of life won’t be impacted, however.
Ok facetious, 🙂 is there an emoji for that...

Quickie Google search looking up RTC injuries found this article

Within it was some injury prevention and look at that suggestion~
》Don't pitch in more than two consecutive games until age 13. ⬇️

Screenshot_20230712-152506_Chrome.jpg

May 27, 2013
Ok facetious, 🙂 is there an emoji for that...

Quickie Google search looking up RTC injuries found this article

Within it was some injury prevention and look at that suggestion~
》Don't pitch in more than two consecutive games until age 13. ⬇️

View attachment 28364

So by posting this are you agreeing with those of us who did state that overuse injuries do happen and that there should pitch counts in SB?

May 13, 2023
So by posting this are you agreeing with those of us who did state that overuse injuries do happen and that there should pitch counts in SB?
- previously already commented about Pitch counts-

I posted that to add to the discussion.
But I didn't need to look it up to know that overuse injuries happen.
Including players that are throwing too much overhand at a 7-hour weekend practice.

Was hoping to find some statistics that would show a history timeline.
(Taking into account there are a lot more athletes playing nowadays than there were years past.)

Would also be interesting to see overuse injuries compared to incidental injuries that occur.
Incidental injuries accumulated are a lot because there are more non-pitchers on the field at the same time.

The preventative list has more on it than just pitch count reasons for possible injury.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
- previously already commented about Pitch counts-

I posted that to add to the discussion.
But I didn't need to look it up to know that overuse injuries happen.
Including players that are throwing too much overhand at a 7-hour weekend practice.

Was hoping to find some statistics that would show a history timeline.
(Taking into account there are a lot more athletes playing nowadays than there were years past.)

Would also be interesting to see overuse injuries compared to incidental injuries that occur.
Incidental injuries accumulated are a lot because there are more non-pitchers on the field at the same time.

The preventative list has more on it than just pitch count reasons for possible injury.

So in regards to acute vs overuse injuries - it was very interesting to hear ds’ orthopedic doc say that often times players, specifically pitchers, have no idea that they have a torn labrum. It could have happened without knowing, and may be an incidental finding found on imaging when something else causes pain in the shoulder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi