Why do girls stand at the front of the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Again this is one of those things I scratch my head and wonder what the coach is thinking and what data do they have to support doing this?

The opposite can also be said. Do you have any data to support moving them back in the box is better?

I doubt anyone here has any data for either side of this debate.

May 16, 2010
The opposite can also be said. Do you have any data to support moving them back in the box is better?

I doubt anyone here has any data for either side of this debate.

It depends on what you mean by "data."

It's an absolute fact that moving up in the box gives the hitter less time to react to ANY pitch.
Now, whether or not that translates to less hits, is unknown.

Moving back in the box is supported by the fact that you have longer to see and react to any pitch.

Moving up MAY help with certain specific pitches, but that is unproven. The only fact is that moving up gives you less time to see and react.

I don't have any data, but I do know that regardless of how little or much a pitch is changing direction, if I can put my bat in the spot in the strike zone at which the ball is passing, I can hit it.

So, IMO, the main factor is; where should I stand that will allow me to put the bat through any part of the zone, with maximum reaction time. And that sure is not, by positioning myself at the very front of the batter's box.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I can still hit those from my position if they go through the zone.

Sure, you should adjust if necessary, I just don't think an adjustment all the way to the front of the box is necessary.

Maybe you can JB, but you are bigger and stronger and can handle a 34" FP bat better than most female FP players. Reach and spoil are likely more accurate than hit. And hit is very different than hit consistently or consistently hit well. Considering that most screwballs are a product of the pitch angle and movement, even you certainly can't hit well a screw that's headed at your front knee cap, particularly if the pitching lane isn't enforced. And you can't consistently hit well a curve that's over the chalk of the other batter's box.

The average BA of the average college player suggests that they fail much more often than not. Against a pitcher without dominant heat, why not try to take away some of the movement to get more consistent solid contact and tilt the odds in the batters favor? Do I recommend this universally? No, but on occasion its not a bad move.

May 16, 2010
Maybe you can JB, but you are bigger and stronger and can handle a 34" FP bat better than most female FP players. Reach and spoil are likely more accurate than hit. And hit is very different than hit consistently or consistently hit well. Considering that most screwballs are a product of the pitch angle and movement, even you certainly can't hit well a screw that's headed at your front knee cap, particularly if the pitching lane isn't enforced. And you can't consistently hit well a curve that's over the chalk of the other batter's box.

The average BA of the average college player suggests that they fail much more often than not. Against a pitcher without dominant heat, why not try to take away some of the movement to get more consistent solid contact and tilt the odds in the batters favor? Do I recommend this universally? No, but on occasion its not a bad move.

I didn't mean to imply that I could rake, and get a base hit on any and/or all of those pitches. I meant that I could get the bat on it without having to stand in the front of the box.

Also, the question is; is the ability to make contact with the pitch earlier in it's path, an advantage over seeing the path longer?

In my opinion; if I can sit back and read the pitch's trajectory longer and have longer to decide if it is going to go through the zone, and longer to execute my swing; I'm better off than having to judge earlier if I should swing, and have less time to execute the swing.

I could be wrong, but it just seems to me, that the longer I have to read and react, the better. IMO, that outweighs catching the ball at an earlier point in it's curving path. JMO.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I didn't mean to imply that I could rake, and get a base hit on any and/or all of those pitches. I meant that I could get the bat on it without having to stand in the front of the box.

Also, the question is; is the ability to make contact with the pitch earlier in it's path, an advantage over seeing the path longer?

In my opinion; if I can sit back and read the pitch's trajectory longer and have longer to decide if it is going to go through the zone, and longer to execute my swing; I'm better off than having to judge earlier if I should swing, and have less time to execute the swing.

I could be wrong, but it just seems to me, that the longer I have to read and react, the better. IMO, that outweighs catching the ball at an earlier point in it's curving path. JMO.

I agree with you in general, but if a hitter doesn't need the extra reaction time and its a junkballer painting the front corners and/or pounding a drop into the ground then, IMO, the batter gains an advantage

May 16, 2010
I agree with you in general, but if a hitter doesn't need the extra reaction time and its a junkballer painting the front corners and/or pounding a drop into the ground then, IMO, the batter gains an advantage

Well yeah. If a pitcher has a 55mph or less, fastball, and breaking balls that are even slower, then I suppose it wouldn't hurt to move up a bit, but I still don't see moving all the way to the front line.

Also, my original post was based upon seeing girls at the front, even when they weren't easily catching up to the pitcher's fastball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
More time ....... something many batter's would love to have.

The problem batters face: more time = more break on the pitches......why do you think there is such a delima about moving from 40' to 43'? It is essentially the same thing when the batter moves from the back to the front of the box!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Played 6 years of high level men's fastpitch. Did I move up in the box on a good rise baller? You dang right! If you think cutting off 12" of movement isn't beneficial, that is all you are doing, thinking, never done it, don't know it. Lose 18" of time on a fastball? So what! Fastballs with no movement have no place in decent level fastpitch.

May 4, 2012
Long Island
Personally I stand a little back in the box. But I do see a lot of people, even people on my team, standing very far up. I think it all depends on the persons reaction time, and how they swing. People do whatever they feel comfortable with. But my coach tells us that we should stand far back in the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah