Which is most important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2015
Hi all, dd has been playing travel for a couple of years and is now a U14. She is on a new team with an excellent coach, but mediocre teammates. Great girls, just not great ball players. The coach is wisely choosing 'B' level competition for the team, because that is where the majority of the girls belong, but my daughter has come from an 'A' background. She is playing really well, dominating the slower pitching she is seeing, but Im wondering about her growth as a player. So, understanding that ideally you would want them all, what is most important to an athletes' growth, her coach, her teammates, or the level of competition, (or perhaps something else)? Appreciate your thoughts

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Most important thing is the quality and quantity of the time she spends working on her own, IMO.

After that, I'd say the level of competition.

But also make sure you get your daughter's opinion on the team. She might prefer to play with a group of teammates and coaches that she likes at the expense of being the best player possible. I would just make sure she knew the expense so she can make an informed decision.

Oct 30, 2015
Thanks, she does work on her own and with a coach, and we aren't going anywhere as she loves her teammates. I'm just wondering if her growth as a player will be stunted if she doesn't see better pitching?

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks, she does work on her own and with a coach, and we aren't going anywhere as she loves her teammates. I'm just wondering if her growth as a player will be stunted if she doesn't see better pitching?

The short answer is yes, if all she faces is weak pitching that will not help her excel at hitting. But what is the end goal to only play in in High School or does she want a college scholarship? Maybe playing on a "B" team is all she wants to get out of the sport and that is fine but if she is looking to get a scholarship she needs to be challenged every season to get better and that includes playing great competition and competing against talented athletes for playing time at her position(s). It's not just the pitching, its everything else that goes along with being on a competitive "A" travel ball team (showcases, quality coaching, knowledge of the recruiting process, high expectations each week, peers with same goals, aspirations, dedication to the sport, and hard work, etc.)

Mar 28, 2013
No Brainer, If you want to develop as a player you play at your level,If she is a A level player she needs to play A or she will not develop any further, To add to RT's post all of which is spot on the balls are hit much harder, the players run much faster, that hard liner you just hit to short is now an out instead of a base hit, your either hitting the ball over the fence, in the gaps, or the perfect bunt with good speed or you are out. Not putting down B ball because we all start somewhere and having teammates that you are close to is a giant asset, but If she wanst to stand out with the big dogs one day and she can play at that level she needs to start playing with them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The rule is: "Your DD should be on the best team she can find where she *plays*."

There is no point being on a Gold team if your DD sits on the bench. There is no point being on a B team if your DD bats .750.

Feb 3, 2011
There's simple, great advice above. Rocket, Sluggers, and Bucket all nailed it. The key is to identify what your DD's goals are and then help to guide her in that direction. As a general rule, I don't think anyone should play down, but she may not want to play at any level higher than where she is.

In answer to your question about player growth, I'd say that the level of competition is the most important of those items you listed, the caveat being exactly what Sluggers said: that she's PLAYING and playing significant innings. Coaching continues to be vital at 14u and it's important that the coach is putting the team into the right tournaments where they'll be challenged and can be competitive.

Jun 12, 2015
There are positives and negatives either way as I'm finding out this year. My DD's 8U team was pretty awful. She was the strongest player by a wide margin. Of course, she stood out and looked fabulous so if you want a vicarious ego boost...lol. We switched to an A team this year with a lot of talent. We're playing A tournaments against 2nd year 10U teams (we're first year). The development aspect of facing real competition and having a team that can play on her level has been absolutely awesome. The down side is all the competition for the positions she wants to play. She wants to play pitcher and short, but only pitches one game per tourney and mostly plays 1st when she's not pitching. Though her dad and I are really conflicted on how to handle spring season, she's not. She loves this team. She has no desire to go back to a lower level of play. The development you see playing with girls who are as good or better is way, way more than playing on a team where yours is the rock star. Not to mention playing against teams who are as good or better.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Even with a B team, if the coach was smart he would enter Open or A tournaments for most of the season, then play B State... ect

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO it changes as they get older. At 14U if she wants to play college she needs to be playing better players, 12U and below I do not think it matters too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877