Where Should the Eyes Be Focused in the Batter's Box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
One Secret Drill to Increase Visual Acuity in Baseball and Softball | South Bay Refinery

Does Your Hitter's Focus Matter? « Softball Excellence
Hard focus soft focus. Your eyes only have a few seconds in hard focus. Bustos teaches this. Look at the entire pitcher and past her till it's time to change to hard focus. Test it, try to star at an object roughly 50 feet away and see how long you can . Kids who have not been trained correctly try to focus on the pitcher too early. There are many good hitting drills for your vision. . My dd used the ceiling fan method and got me in trouble. Those who have been lucky to visit ( howard) can tell you what he has on his garage door.

Last edited:

Candice Beards

Forever a terp!
Jul 13, 2014
I used to have a focal point before I stepped into the batters box (the foul pole) so that I was not staring at something for to long, then as I got ready to watch the pitcher you watch the hip of the release point. I did a lot of drills to help pick up spin. My team and I did a lot of stand in drills where the pitcher would pitch to us with their pitches and we would stand in without a bat and pick up the spin as well as the release. Just some experience on what I did.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Good to teach your batters to call time and step out if the pitcher takes too long so they can preserve that short period of focus.
Colloquially I refer to this as "It ain't no d@mned staring contest."

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I tried that "hard focus/soft focus" thing the other night in a baseball game, and went 0-3 with 2 strikeouts. I didn't strike out twice all last season. Went back to focusing on the emblem on the pitcher's hat, and finally got a hit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes