Where do we find the right team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Don't want to Hijack the thread, but I also need some first time TB advice. We live in San Diego area and have a very small rec league. My girls have outgrown it and we are looking to move on to TB. There are sooooo many teams in the area we could not possibly find the time to investigate/try out for that many. How do you find a team that is the right level for your kids? I don't want to waste my time on a "rec league extension" program, but I also don't think they are ready for the top A level programs. How do you find a team that is that is about halfway between rec all stars and the top teams for a first year 10u and first year 12U? I don't know any girls in our league (at least at our levels) that play any TB so other parents aren't a good resource.

Another thing is that I feel obligated to support our current league and I want it to grow, taking two of the best players away clearly won't help that goal. To TB teams ever allow any flexibility to also play rec typically?

Last edited:
Most of the time you can find teams that are having "open practice" which means you can go and practice with them and see if you are a fit for each other. If you go to HeyBucket.com and click on your CA you can nose around and see what is available at this time. And I understand about where your heart is with the league but your kids arn't going to make or break the league. Once you go to tournament ball there is no goin back, you will be hooked. If your girls really wanna get better and have lots of playing time then you are going to have to find a better team with better coaches and better players. Be prepared to open your wallet!! With 2 DD playing it is going to cost you a fortune:)

Nov 3, 2012
Don't want to Hijack the thread, but I also need some first time TB advice. We live in San Diego area and have a very small rec league. My girls have outgrown it and we are looking to move on to TB. There are sooooo many teams in the area we could not possibly find the time to investigate/try out for that many. How do you find a team that is the right level for your kids? I don't want to waste my time on a "rec league extension" program, but I also don't think they are ready for the top A level programs. How do you find a team that is that is about halfway between rec all stars and the top teams for a first year 10u and first year 12U? I don't know any girls in our league (at least at our levels) that play any TB so other parents aren't a good resource.

Another thing is that I feel obligated to support our current league and I want it to grow, taking two of the best players away clearly won't help that goal. To TB teams ever allow any flexibility to also play rec typically?

My daughter just completed her first year of travel ball at the 12U albeit in Indiana. I can relate to where your at.

Some advice from my experience. I would try to find a team that practices relatively close to home so you're not driving all the time. Also don't worry yet about getting on premier teams or the best team in your area. The really good teams have alreadys stockpiled talent and playing opportunities would be limited. Go to as many try outs as possible and ask a lot questions to the coaches. See how far they travel, how many tournaments they play and how often they practice and ask them what the fees will estimated travel costs will be. My big surprise was how much commitment travel ball takes (money and time). Set a financial budget and also see what team fits the best. Note many teams require the team to take hitting and pitching lessons if a pitcher so decide you want to commit.

Also ask the coaches at try outs about their approach to coaching. Hopefully its postive, has good teaching methods and its OK for the kids to fail, but learn from it. Hopefully he wants the girls to have fun.

Once you have a short list of teams after try outs. Due some research on the teams. Check facebook pages, or eteamz accounts. Some organizations have web sites. Check ASA, USSSA, NSA or what association the team plays for and see the results from the tournaments in prior year. I would strongly suggest getting phone numbers from parents on the team and ask them about their experience from the prior year. Our coach is very happy to give out references and would be glad for you to inquire about the experience.

On leaving the rec league, we loved the experience our local league provided our daughter, and I felt bad leaving the organization last year. But looking back, I'm so glad that we did leave it. The travel ball competition level is what my daughter needed to grow and the experience has been good for her. Our organization has rules on rec league play. They allow girls to do both at 8U and 10u. At 12u, permission is required but strongly recommends not playing. 14u and above is denied. There are always scheduling conflicts, and is it fair to your rec team when your DD skip rec tournaments for travel ball. Keep in mind travel ball is more time consuming than you think.

IMO, is that the competition level for rec league at 8U and 10U is not far from travel ball. But at 12u the Gap really grows, and just gets bigger as they get older. Dont feel bad about your rec league, it will survive. I

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In the St. Louis area, teams advertise in the local newspapers. There is also a softball forum that is specific to the St. Louis area. I know that in some states like Ohio, they have a great website that also breaks down regions and so, you can find out what teams are looking for and where they are located.

One other idea that seems to have a lot to my dd, if you know some local HS players, ask them. Heck, if you don't know them, you know HS kids and some of them might be able to hook you up with a HS player or two so you can ask them.

Good luck. In our area or I should say my community, TB players are not allowed in rec. I don't think that this is the norm.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I think that if you go to one or two tryouts close to home, you will talk to some people and find out a lot about teams by word of mouth. Also, pay attention to how the girls interact and how they compose themselves...pay attention to parents...how much do they interfere, etc. Another thing is how organized is the tryout? This is huge IMO.

Being someone who doesn't know much about the TB world in your area, I think that going to a couple of tryouts or open practices will get you a little wet behind the ears. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks all. I decided to just jump in with a tryout. DDs are working out with a team tonight. I think they are pretty low level but that might be a good place to start. I am going to ask all of the questions everyone gave me and then there are a lot of tryouts in early August and we'll just try to find a team to get started on. Thanks again.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
If there is going to be a tournament in the near future try to attend with your DD's . You will get to see the teams in one area. Also you will get a sense of how a coach performs in a tournament environment. There will be a lot of parents around that will share opinions about teams,coaches and who is looking for players. Your DD's might also run into a couple of friends that are playing. You will find TB parents very outgoing and friendly as long as your not the team they are currently playing, just kidding.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Depending upon your DD's interest level, you might want to check into a more competitive "rec league". Rec league's in SoCal can be pretty darn competitive.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Well that practice was interesting. The club has 15 players only 8 showed up for practice though. They are all 10u 2002-2003. The HC was great, but very lax. The girls were right about at my 2002 DDs ability level give or take so that was good. My 2004 DD held her own but showed her age here and there (but she did out hustle and out focus them). I asked all of the questions you all suggested and it was invaluable. It's a thanks but no thanks situation but it was good to see what I assume to be a lower level team looks like. When we left my 8 year old actually said it was fun but they didn't take it serious enough. Seriously, she said that with no prompting from me. That kids WANTS it. Were going to look for another team at about this level but with more focused practice. Thanks again y'all.

Jun 12, 2012
You may be too late for this but I suggest spending a Saturday attending a local tournament. That will give you a chance to see how the coaches, players, and parents carry themselves and give you an idead about the overall skill level. Ask yourself whether you can see your family spending most of your weekends with this group. You will quickly mark some teams off your list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole