Where Do I start with My 10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is how I would teach the sequence:

2j0dxyc.gif

I would avoid teaching your DD to take her arms straight back towards the catcher as she strides. A good overhand throw includes internal rotation of the upper arm, and I would start incorporating that action into your DD's loading pattern. More and more instructors are jumping on the "If you can throw you can hit" bandwagon, but that philosophy is only as good as the instructor's understanding of the overhand throw and how it relates to hitting.

I'll try and get some video up later next week of how we relate throwing to hitting.

It's really pretty simple. When you break your hands to throw a ball, your hands break with palms down. The palm down hand break action in throwing is one of the actions that transfers to hitting.

SL will get mad at me for pointing this out; but his DD never gets to extension in the "Reverse Hand Drill" he claims teaches extension.

Reverse hand no extension.JPG

Extension is the by-product of a good swing. If your DD learns to throw the barrel, she won't be able to keep herself from extending. It will happen automatically. I bet if you took your DD to a field and had her stand at home plate and throw a bat towards where the pitcher's head would be; she would get plenty of extension. It makes no sense to me to try and fix a downstream issue like extension, until you fix the upstream stuff. There is a 99.9999999% chance that an improvement in how she loads and unloads will fix any issue she has with extension.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wellphyt,
I'm sure the dad and dad's thank you for your helpfully post.But I'm sorry this has got to stop Straightleg also posted a suggestion (it could have been any poster) there is no need to debate,argue or point out what is wrong with his suggestion.The poster asked for help,other posters, posted suggestions to help let that dad/mom or other dad/mom decide if it works or not.If this keeps up there will be no one left to help us.SL is kind enough to video his DD doing various hitting moves to help clueless dads like me and I can't thank him or his DD enough for what they do.In spite of all the insults that get throw at them.Just let someone make a suggestion and leave it up to the person to decide if it works or not.We are clueless any way so any help is better than probably what we are doing.This bashing needs to stop to many people have left this site and no longer post and it's a same for all the DD's and parents who could have been helped and need the help.This isn't direct at just you,but others on this site.I am sorry and if my future post will be ignored by the "secret" keepers then hopefully I learned enough.I will freely share with others.

Oct 25, 2009
Wellphyt,
I'm sure the dad and dad's thank you for your helpfully post.But I'm sorry this has got to stop Straightleg also posted a suggestion (it could have been any poster) there is no need to debate,argue or point out what is wrong with his suggestion.The poster asked for help,other posters, posted suggestions to help let that dad/mom or other dad/mom decide if it works or not.If this keeps up there will be no one left to help us.SL is kind enough to video his DD doing various hitting moves to help clueless dads like me and I can't thank him or his DD enough for what they do.In spite of all the insults that get throw at them.Just let someone make a suggestion and leave it up to the person to decide if it works or not.We are clueless any way so any help is better than probably what we are doing.This bashing needs to stop to many people have left this site and no longer post and it's a same for all the DD's and parents who could have been helped and need the help.This isn't direct at just you,but others on this site.I am sorry and if my future post will be ignored by the "secret" keepers then hopefully I learned enough.I will freely share with others.

This is NOT bashing. This is discussing! I do not read any insults into the post. There was nothing posted that should offend anyone.

There are sites where the posts are so politely correct that they have very minimal activity. And then it's mostly announcements or congratulatory posts. (Yes, I meant politely—not politically.)

This site does it right. We need all the Wellphyt, FFS, SL, SBF, rdbass, etc., we can get. MTR, even. Take away those posters and a couple others and we'd be in a vacuum.

They can hold their own; I don't foresee any of them quitting. Tolerating a little feuding is a small price to pay for the lessons learned.

Have at it!

Oct 14, 2008
This is NOT bashing. This is discussing! I do not read any insults into the post. There was nothing posted that should offend anyone.

There are sites where the posts are so politely correct that they have very minimal activity. And then it's mostly announcements or congratulatory posts. (Yes, I meant politely—not politically.)

This site does it right. We need all the Wellphyt, FFS, SL, SBF, rdbass, etc., we can get. MTR, even. Take away those posters and a couple others and we'd be in a vacuum.

They can hold their own; I don't foresee any of them quitting. Tolerating a little feuding is a small price to pay for the lessons learned.

Have at it!

Reminds me alot of the Hatfields and McCoys back home..... lol

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I reacted like a dad.You are right it is a discussion forum.Maybe,because I see a dad post/share his DD and then her swing gets pick apart for years.I'm sorry because the protective dad came out in me.There was no insults.Correct.Whether her swing is correct or not it still maybe better then most.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
View attachment 2257
I reacted like a dad.You are right it is a discussion forum.Maybe,because I see a dad post/share his DD and then her swing gets pick apart for years.I'm sorry because the protective dad came out in me.There was no insults.Correct.Whether her swing is correct or not it still maybe better then most.

Better than most
She set 6 school records. 3 lifetime, 3 single season at her school. She had over 100 rbi's and over 100 hits in her high school career.
She was the first one in school history to play and start 12 varsity sports. School has been there along time.
Here she is in the trophy case at school. AD named it the "12" award.

Casey in the trophy case.jpg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Balance & Elvis Move - YouTube Check this out posted by Straightleg in this forum under Hitting videos.Also check out Chas Pippitt's Blog.He also explains it in a different way that may help for an AHA moment.I PM'd you also.I hope it helps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole