When to start looking for new pitching coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2012
California
Thanks Carly - I hope my kid loves this sport as much as I love watching her love this sport. If that makes sense? I agree with the movement pitches. I'd rather her hit her spots consistently and keep her mechanics tight so that it prevents injuries. She's a workhorse. She's been on teams that didn't have a second pitcher, and she's never complained of pain and doesn't tire easily. So I *think* her mechanics are working for her.

I think it's time to just let bygones by bygones. PC and DD just need a break from each other. Maybe they can try again at a later time. Maybe we'll just work with her and check other coaches out to see what else is out there. I'm just trying to not be one of "those" parents. Who complain about play time or about results when it's really my kid or my parenting that's the problem. She's learned so much and has a true presence on the field. I appreciate PC for being a part of it...and just kind of feel guilty? Anyways. Thanks for the solid advice!

Mar 18, 2012
California
This is good advice - I haven't pushed practicing her drop because she was taught two different styles and one looks like it could cause problems because of the quick snap-back. I'm really big on keeping her body healthy now through proper mechanics. Especially since arthritis runs in my family and my brother and I pay for little league 20+ years ago, today.
You're right about the canceled lessons. I normally don't complain because one less practice for DD can't be that bad? It's almost like a mini-vacation when we don't have softball for a night. I've been looking at the shiny part of the penny instead of the truth. She's inconsistent in her schedule and DD needs someone who is trustworthy and consistent. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2009
She should not be taught both the peel and rollover at the same time, especially when a pitching coach is being used for the long haul.
Red flag.

Although I have no idea what you mean by quick snap back: The peel does not cause any issues. Can be taught and used immediately. It is a version of the fastball with more wrist action (ie fingers are in line with the power line).

The rollover has the fingers cocked to the side and coming over the top of the ball and down the front 'so to speak.' The shoulder tends to come out forward with this one. This can cause issues. But you wait until the peel is learned if you want to do both.

I have seen instructors teach a peel this way. Get the fingers under the ball then pull the seam aggressively backwards.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The peel / pull up drop.

I have seen instructors teach a peel this way. Get the fingers under the ball then pull the seam aggressively backwards.

I think you ,mght be talking about a hybrid pitch that I first talked about in the old Fastpitch forum, around 1999 or 2000. It sounds like my old Peel / Pull Up drop. Some instructors love it, some instructors hate it.

As the ball is released, you simply slightly curl the fingers, pull up and backwards. It is not an aggressive thing as you only have to pull up and back an inch or two to give the ball around double the downspin of a standard peel drop. It will drop off the table hard if done correctly. The timing of doing this is CRITICAL and it takes a litt;e practice but is well worth it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves