When to get gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Runner's-on stance. Hand came back to the chest, as programmed. For a pitch in that location, however, I would prefer to see the hand a little higher on the chest.

That's what I thought it was supposed to be, just sorta looks like she's resting it out in limbo. Must be the camera angle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Shouldn't that happen after her current season? The NECC DVD that is. I don't want to throw too much at her at once.

The NECC DVD is designed to teach people (you) how to coach catchers. How much of that info you feed to her is up to you, based on how much she can absorb, process, and adapt. Things like proper stances and protection of her throwing hand are skills that shouldn't wait. What I have found in working with young catchers (my DD and others) is that they can absorb a lot of information when they are motivated to get to the next level. Some skills (blocking, especially) will take a lot of practice to get to the point where it becomes programmed enough to use it in a game situation.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's what I thought it was supposed to be, just sorta looks like she's resting it out in limbo. Must be the camera angle.

I've caught her on camera a couple of times with it in front of her leg guard, below the knee. We quickly got back to refreshing her programming for proper hand movement. These things need periodic maintenance.

Jan 22, 2011
Got my DD a beginners set as a 7 year old, mostly for hygiene. I got her an All-Star Series 7(?) exactly a year ago for moving up from 8u to 10u fall ball.... it just showed up on facebook.

Allstar.jpg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Got my DD a beginners set as a 7 year old, mostly for hygiene. I got her an All-Star Series 7(?) exactly a year ago for moving up from 8u to 10u fall ball.... it just showed up on facebook.

All-Star calls their softball gear Vela, but as far as I can tell, it's built the same as their System 7 baseball line. Great gear.

Oct 4, 2014
I know this reply is a little late but here are my opinions on getting you DD her own gear. The sooner, the better. My experience with catchers is that if a girl shows interest, harvest it right a way, but don't push. A kid having interest in that position is priceless. Get them gear as soon as you can afford or provide it. I found that once a catcher or a learning catcher gets their own gear they will begin thrive. It gives them pride knowing there a little different from the rest. They put on their battle armor. Teach them to take pride in their gear, clean and maintain it, and stow it correctly. Taking pride in their gear will lead into taking pride in the game and how they play the game and even conduct themselves as a person. Also don't be afraid to piece together a set if needed, just get the ball rolling

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Shouldn't that happen after her current season? The NECC DVD that is. I don't want to throw too much at her at once.

Darn, my earlier post seems to have disappeared...

IMO YOU are the one who will be watching the NECC DVD. It's 3 hours long and crammed with info. When DD was young, I watched it through several times and made notes on things I wanted to remember/emphasize and on exactly where the snippets were that I wanted to have her watch. Then I'd talk to her about x and say, ok watch this, and have her watch for just a minute or two, right at the place where the topic was best demonstrated.

Aug 26, 2015
Just got her gear in the mail. Her uncle got her the Wilson set and it arrived yesterday. Her first words were "I'm officially a catcher now. Let's get it dirty!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA