When the Kids Watch the Parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
This is a bit off-topic, but a story that I think lots of parents will appreciate:

My husband recently got back into playing tennis after taking a six year hiatus so that he could coach our son and daughter in football, baseball and of course, softball. Our kids are now 15 and 17 and are playing under other coaches for the first time in years.

DH signed himself up for a local tennis tournament. His won his first match, and his second was scheduled for - you guessed it - 8 a.m on a Sunday. To my great surprise and delight, both of our kids wanted to come watch his 8 a.m match. They got up at 6:30, got dressed, and grumpily got into the car - as spectators! Our son complained about the cold and spent the match wrapped up in a blanket. The match was indoors, in an unheated indoor facility complete with a viewer's deck. Our son sincerely wondered why they couldn't install heat lamps in the viewer's deck for the spectators' comfort. I've often wondered the same thing while watching softball games - outdoors - in early March!

The kids silently cheered the big points won and got nervous when a game was on the line. In the end, DH won his match and the kids were jumping up and down cheering their old man. It was so nice to see our kids supporting their father, as a way to give back after years of him pouring his heart and soul into their athletic development. Despite all the ups and downs through the years of youth sports, kids really do appreciate all of the love and support that their parents give them. That one tennis match made me realize that it has all been worth it :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD and DS are the same age as yours, and there is NO WAY they are up at 8AM on a Sunday! Kudos to your kids!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog