Whats your opinion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2013
My daughters team is a true 11u team. My dd is a pitcher for her team. Coach wants to put TB team in a 14u winter league. So my question is this will pitching 43feet all winter mess her up with her release points when she goes back to 40feet??? Is this a good idea?? I have mixed feelings about it....also good to play tougher competition but we could have some 5th graders playing againist 9th graders???! She is just now adjusting to 40 feet.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Fastbat,

What makes a pitcher great is facing great hitters.

The 'Team' must be told and understand that the same thing is true for the entire team. The better the teams are that you play, the better you will play. For the ages you are talking about, yeah big difference there. Your team must also understand that at first they will get lumped up some. But the more games they get against the bigger, older and more experienced teams. the more they will learn and the stronger they will be for it. When they go back to playing teams their own age, they will be the strongest team in the area.

I have seen this happen SO many times over the years and it always works out that way.

Good luck and make sure the kids watch the other teams and see what and how they play and TALK ABOUT IT, that is huge!

Oct 22, 2009
I think it will be fine, especially if the 14u winter league team is like what we have around here.:p

Playing up does you make better. I once saw a 10yr old team win a 12u tournament. They faced further pitching, further bases, different rules. I can only imagine these girls played up a lot to finally win a championship and assume they did extremely well at 10U Nationals that year.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My DD has been doing this the past month or so. We practice from 43' and at pitching lesson we are at 43'. She plays 12U and we pitch from 40' in tournaments. I backed her up in anticipation of playing some 14U tournaments in the fall and she may try out for school ball this year. If anything, I think it has helped her and made her a better pitcher. Her drop ball is good at 43'....okay at 40'. It's amazing that three more feet make that much of a difference in the break and that is one reason a 10u pitcher, IMO, only needs to locate a FB and work on a CU. At 35' there isn't much time to get a break.

She even thinks she is a better pitchers at 43'. When she is in a 12u tournament and at 40' she said it looks so close and she feels like she is dominating. So, IMO, it won't hurt her at all. I think you will be surprised.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have mixed feelings about it....also good to play tougher competition but we could have some 5th graders playing againist 9th graders???!

Depends on the team and the competition.

My guess is that a top flight 14U team would kill your team, while your team could probably hold its own against weak 14U teams.

My inclination would be to see how it goes...

Aug 29, 2013
Playing up shouldn't affect a players pitching success. As a pitcher myself moving back 3 feet helped me immensely. I was never a pitcher that blew a FB by anyone, and that three extra feet gave me the extra room I needed to really let me pitches break. When I moved back to 40 ft I felt unstoppable. Throwing from 3 feet farther made me stronger, and I was now throwing harder from 40ft.

As for the difference in age, it could be a challenge. Like others have said before me, talk about it! It's a possibility that you could have a really rough season. Keep this in discussion during team meetings, learn from the experience, and help your players to impersonate the better teams around them. "Social support" can make all the difference in "failing" situations. It's a little different situation, but I once coached an 18U gold team that had an 8th grader on the roster. She no doubt became better due to the players and competition she was surrounded with. You'll never know until you try.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I am going to add something else too.

I cant count hopw many times I have seen, say, a 12u team playing up to 14u in a few tournaments. Words of a younger team being there spreads like wildfire.

They may only see 4 games before being eliminated by the older, bigger and more experienced teams. HOWEVER, there are always players, parents and coaches from the older teams that will go over to them and compliment them on a great catch in the outfield, some good hits, some strike outs, a double play, etc. And they will tell them how impressed they were and more importantly, they will in so many words, TELL THEM IT TOOK ALOT OF GUTS TO PLAY AGAINST THEM AND THEY WERE IMPRESSED.

That alone can make 14 sad faces start beaming with pride. I have had the pleasure of seeing that happen many times too.

Apr 19, 2013
My DD moved to a 14U team this spring she was 11 at the time. It was and has been a great experience for her. She was #2 pitcher, and is now #1 for the team. She had to earn and work harder to earn her new spot. She has done quite well against the older girls and we've played mostly high school tournaments which means she's faced 17 and 18 yr old girls. She is not intimidated by them at all and can blow the ball by them and her CU just eats them up. Has she had hits against her, well yeah but she's much more confident in the team behind her so focuses more on just pitching, not necessarily striking everyone out like she did on 12u. There have been many coaches from the older teams she's faced that come up to congratulate her especially when they found out her age.We were worried about the dugout talk but the older girls on this team have been very good knowing that there were younger girls on the team. In my opinion, this move has made her a better pitcher and player all around.

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks for all the words of encouragement!! We have decided to let her pitch in the 14u league. She talked to her PC last night and he thinks she will do just fine. Makes me feel better hearing from you all and knowing that other girls have only gotten better for doing it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan