What's the deal with TB coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I hope it doesn't change, but I haven't seen too many bad things from the coaches Other teams parents maybe. One coach we play does annoy me as he questions every call, but even he is mostly respectful, although highly annoying.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
As is the case in our other dealings, there is no guarantee that coaches, parents, or even players, will be of respectable character. In fact, given the attitudes of many people today, I think it's getting harder and harder to find people of respectable character. Where did "The Greatest Generation" go, you know, people like our grandparents and great-grandparents?

Oct 25, 2009
As is the case in our other dealings, there is no guarantee that coaches, parents, or even players, will be of respectable character. In fact, given the attitudes of many people today, I think it's getting harder and harder to find people of respectable character. Where did "The Greatest Generation" go, you know, people like our grandparents and great-grandparents?

"Dealings" were more easily hidden in the old days. Or not spoken of. Or handled without a lot of publicity, or dragging out the punishment. Consequences didn't take years, so deterrent was more effective. And on and on ...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The parents, AND ONLY THE PARENTS, should be responsible to select who does or does not coach their children and how to deal with that coach's actions. It is about time parents start being parents and accept the responsibilities that go along with it and stop expecting others to do their job for them.

I find it absolutely astounding that every time something goes awry with a young person from shootings to overdoses, school grades to accidents, it is always someone else that "has to do something".

I'd like to see the ASA make the education and training of travel ball coaches a higher priority. That was the gist of what I was trying to say.

I could've chosen my words better. I did not say (or mean) that the ASA was to blame for any bad-apple coaches, nor was I calling the ASA to 'fix the problem' addressed by the OP. Never said that the ASA should be responsible for picking travel coaches.

Just would like to see better travel ball coaches. I've seen other national sports governing bodies do things to help in that regard. Would like to know if the ASA could do more.

Jun 24, 2013
I had one this weekend. Team we were playing against in 8U was up 8-1 probably 10 minutes left in the game. Not enough time to come back. SS makes an error and and 2B was also close to the play, coach calls time and then proceeds to walk on to the field. He tells both of them (in a hushed tone so parents wouldn't be able to hear it, but it was machine pitch so I was able to hear it) that he was "getting ready to rip their uni's off and throw them in the dirt RIGHT NOW! Both of you are this close to being unable to play SS/2B anymore." C'mon man! It was their first error of the game. IT WAS 8U! On the way off the field I told my girls that they all get to keep their unis on.

i have seen lots of jerk coaches (in TB and rec) and i am determined not to repeat their antics. Hopefully if enough positive coaches show up, that have studied the game and can teach proper mechanics, things will change.

Aug 9, 2013
I've been fortunate thus far in my career (2 years of Rec + AS and a fall of TB) to not run into any of these coaches. My personal philosophy is to be a teacher of the game and let the girls love the game. No one will remember winning/losing but they will look back over their career and remember the coach that helped them learn along the way, have some fun and didn't go off on them. I'm not saying I'm a pushover but when I need to coach, I am direct yet emphasizing what they do good as well as what they need to correct.

Also, the other side of this is when you get beat by a coach and like their style, you bring them in as an AC (My lead asst for my TB team was a coach who beat me in our Rec championship. ) :)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Its usually a volunteer dad who coaches for their own ego more than anything else.

Had a 12B coach with awful sportsmanship this weekend. I asked him nicely to set an example and show good sportsmanship. His answer was if its not in the rulebook its a legal tactic to win. Winning is what matters.

I asked him how big his ego was. he lost it but I ignored him and he chilled.

When he did his thing again I called time. Immediately he was chasing me to the cirlce screaming at me how it was legal and he could do it.

Umpire tossed him. Funny thing is that team is looking for a new coach and pitcher-ruined it for his own kid. Horrible but unfortunately very common.

As coaches we are responsible to teach all kids honor integrity and sportsmanship. There comes a point in time when winning isnt the focus and funny thing is when you get there winning happens alot.

My players have so many trophies in their rooms from wins. I dont own a single trophy. They earned it-not me. Wish more coaches knew that.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Entering my second year as a 12U TB coach i have seen a few things i don't agree with and a bunch of things i do. I watched a coach get thrown out of a game last year for questioning calls, the umpire got annoyed with the constant questioning. The other coach was justified IMO and i was coaching against him. Terrible calls that didn't cost him the game but were still way off. In another game same tournament while coaching 3rd the HC and parents of the opposing team were cussing at me because i was wasting time in the bottom half of the inning to end the game. I find nothing wrong with using my time this way especially when the HC had been warned because his 12U players were shoving girls after time was granted. On the flip side i've had coaches that were beating us and losing to us stay calm and collected and try to coach their girls through the game. I commened any coach that can keep a 12yr old smiling when down in a game. The organization i'm with has a board that votes on anything that is brought to a motion to include managers. If i was not doing the right thing parents have access to the board and i would be removed, based on posts here i'm gathering not every organization is this way.

Last year our 12U team/coaches/parents were thanked multiple times by parents and coaches for the way we handle our girls. We don't yell at them for mistakes, we don't "punish" them for errors. It's important to remember what this is all about in the end and that's the experience. I for one did not have the financial backing as a child to pursue athletics like travel sports, but my DD will have these memories forever and i would hate for them to be of her father getting tossed every weekend or fighting on the field.

Apr 15, 2012
in my 10 years of coaching softball, I have never been thrown out of a game and I have never not shaken or tried to shake the other coaches' hands. No matter how idiotic the other team or coaches act, I tell the girls that I always shake hands to set the proper example. Coaches who don't shake hands have no business coaching since all they care about is winning and not lessons in life

Your last statement is pretty bold and blanketed. I also have never been thrown out of a game, or even ever, been given a warning. It is common for me and my coaching staff to get compliments on our sportsmanship. It's even more common for my players to get compliments on their sportsmanship as well as their play. And guess what, we even get compliments from umps and parents about how well our parents carry themselves during games and tournaments.
Sunday was the first time I ever refused to shake the opposing coach's hand. I did shake the girls hands, and even gave extra congrats to their pitcher and a girl who hit a booming 2 run triple.
This is 12u TB. Twice in this game, they hit a ball down 1st base line, my 1st baseman charges the ball scoops it up and stands there to make the tag. Opposing coach is screaming "RUN HER OVER, RUN HER OVER". The first time it happened I was just thinking to myself, wow, really? I didn't really think much of it. Now, Later in the game, and they pretty much have the game in their hands at this point. The same situation comes up. Dribbler down 1st baseline, My 1st baseman fields it, and once again opposing coach is sreaming, even louder this time, "YOU BETTER RUN HER OVER, RUN HER OVER". At this point the ump actually went over and had a conversation with him, I don't know what was said, but I hope it was some kind of a warning.
So I guess I'm just an "idiot who only cares about winning" because I didn't feel that coach deserved my hand shake. I don't think I would have been to happy with myself if I HAD shaken his hand.
The hand shake after the game is a sign of sportsmanship and respect. The opposing coach had no sportsmanship and therefore didn't deserve my respect. But his players did deserve it, they played a great game.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Your last statement is pretty bold and blanketed. I also have never been thrown out of a game, or even ever, been given a warning. It is common for me and my coaching staff to get compliments on our sportsmanship. It's even more common for my players to get compliments on their sportsmanship as well as their play. And guess what, we even get compliments from umps and parents about how well our parents carry themselves during games and tournaments.
Sunday was the first time I ever refused to shake the opposing coach's hand. I did shake the girls hands, and even gave extra congrats to their pitcher and a girl who hit a booming 2 run triple.
This is 12u TB. Twice in this game, they hit a ball down 1st base line, my 1st baseman charges the ball scoops it up and stands there to make the tag. Opposing coach is screaming "RUN HER OVER, RUN HER OVER". The first time it happened I was just thinking to myself, wow, really? I didn't really think much of it. Now, Later in the game, and they pretty much have the game in their hands at this point. The same situation comes up. Dribbler down 1st baseline, My 1st baseman fields it, and once again opposing coach is sreaming, even louder this time, "YOU BETTER RUN HER OVER, RUN HER OVER". At this point the ump actually went over and had a conversation with him, I don't know what was said, but I hope it was some kind of a warning.
So I guess I'm just an "idiot who only cares about winning" because I didn't feel that coach deserved my hand shake. I don't think I would have been to happy with myself if I HAD shaken his hand.
The hand shake after the game is a sign of sportsmanship and respect. The opposing coach had no sportsmanship and therefore didn't deserve my respect. But his players did deserve it, they played a great game.

sorry..we will have to agree to disagree

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad