What to do when all the hitters move to the front of the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
We run into the same thing this weekend, batters moving up in the box.
Coach tells catcher to move up and she doesn't. Catcher says she did but umpire told her she had to stay behind the batters box.
I tried to find the rule but couldn't find. What is the rule, please?

Don't have the rule number or rules supplement number handy at the moment. The rules do state the catcher must be in the catchers box but it does have an exception when the batters are up in the front of the box. The catcher is allowed to mover forward as long as they do not obstruct the batter. The entire batters box belongs to the batter and they could move back at any time.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Given I've found when batters miss the ball that they are far more likely to be under the ball than over it, I don't ever like to have my hitters up in the box lest it be for bunting. I think the best hitters out there can time themselves to all the various speeds they run into.

Jun 26, 2010
Don't have the rule number or rules supplement number handy at the moment. The rules do state the catcher must be in the catchers box but it does have an exception when the batters are up in the front of the box. The catcher is allowed to mover forward as long as they do not obstruct the batter. The entire batters box belongs to the batter and they could move back at any time.

I talked to an umpire later today and asked the question. He said the catcher must stay in the catchers box until the ball leaves the pitchers hand. At that time the pitcher can move as close as they want as long as they don't interfere with the batter.

He also talked about the strike zone and that many hitters who are in the front of the box don't realize where they stand has nothing to do with the strike zone. He spoke specifically about the ball coming in high at the front of the box, the hitter laying off and the ball dropping into the strike zone when it reaches the plate. He calls a strike and batter looks at him like he's crazy.

Feb 7, 2013
Correct, the strike zone never changes for a particular batter if they are all the way up in the box or all the way back in the box. The strike zone is the area directly above home plate when the batter takes their normal batting stance over home plate. For example, the batter could lay down in the batters box but the strike zone is still directly over home plate from the top of the knees to the sternum.

Pitching isn't one dimensional, the batter is only up in the box or back of the box, but many factors play into pitch selection. If the batters is crowding the plate and up in the box, you can throw high and inside. If they are up in the box and off the plate you can work high and outside. You can also throw some high pitches that might drop for high strikes over the plate but are hard for a batter to hit if they are in the front of the box.

But the real issue is a 13YO pitcher needs to have more velocity than mid 40s. From 43 feet no matter what pitch she throws, lots of pitches will be put in play. So if it was me, I would have DD work on achieving another 5 -7 mph and then work on the rise ball to compliment the other pitches.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I talked to an umpire later today and asked the question. He said the catcher must stay in the catchers box until the ball leaves the pitchers hand. At that time the pitcher can move as close as they want as long as they don't interfere with the batter.

He also talked about the strike zone and that many hitters who are in the front of the box don't realize where they stand has nothing to do with the strike zone. He spoke specifically about the ball coming in high at the front of the box, the hitter laying off and the ball dropping into the strike zone when it reaches the plate. He calls a strike and batter looks at him like he's crazy.

If the umpire has read rule supplement 8 he is not translating it correctly.

Catchers Box (fast pitch)_
Catchers must remain in the catchers box until the pitch is realeased. The catcher may move closer to the plate without penalty when the batter is positioned in the front of the box during a pitch. However, the catcher must, at all times, still avoid catchers obstruction as the batter has the right to the entire batters box.

Yes, it does state the catcher is restricted to the catchers box prior to the release of the pitch. Exactly the same as in any other situation such as a pitch out during an intentional walk. After the release of the pitch the catcher is free to move where ever they like. Why then would the rule supplement make an exception for something that is already legal for the catcher to do after the pitch is released????? The exception allows for the catcher to move closer to the plate and be forward of the catchers box when the batter is up in the front of the box.

As for the original post, if an umpire is calling the correct zone the best thing a pitcher can do for a batter moving up in the box is to continue throwing the changeup. The strike zone is still at the plate, not where the batter is standing. Changeup will cross about their eye level and drop right through the strike zone.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2010
If the umpire has read rule supplement 8 he is not translating it correctly.

Catchers Box (fast pitch)_
Catchers must remain in the catchers box until the pitch is realeased. The catcher may move closer to the plate without penalty when the batter is positioned in the front of the box during a pitch. However, the catcher must, at all times, still avoid catchers obstruction as the batter has the right to the entire batters box.

Yes, it does state the catcher is restricted to the catchers box prior to the release of the pitch. Exactly the same as in any other situation such as a pitch out during an intentional walk. After the release of the pitch the catcher is free to move where ever they like. Why then would the rule supplement make an exception for something that is already legal for the catcher to do after the pitch is released????? The exception allows for the catcher to move closer to the plate and be forward of the catchers box when the batter is up in the front of the box.

As for the original post, if an umpire is calling the correct zone the best thing a pitcher can do for a batter moving up in the box is to continue throwing the changeup. The strike zone is still at the plate, not where the batter is standing. Changeup will cross about their eye level and drop right through the strike zone.

Comp,

If I understand this correctly, the catcher does not have to wait until the ball is released to move up from the catchers box as long as the batter is in the front of the batters box.

Jun 22, 2008
Comp,

If I understand this correctly, the catcher does not have to wait until the ball is released to move up from the catchers box as long as the batter is in the front of the batters box.

That is exactly what rule supplement 8 is stating.

Jul 26, 2010
Understand that the strike zone is at the front of the plate, not at where the batter is, irregardless of where the batter is standing. If the pitcher and catcher understand this and pitch to the zone rather than the batter, they will greatly increase their chance of success.

It's a great time to use back door curves and screws, because you have a few feet for the ball to break from where it is a ball to the batter's eyes to a strike over the plate. Other than that, change-up, change-up, and more change-ups. Pitch multiple change-ups each slower than the last.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad