What should she work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Take a look at her "connection" or the relationship of the hands and the back shoulder. She is dropping her hands and has a looping swing. The end of the bat should make a "Nike Swush" if she is using her hands and core correctly.

Aug 20, 2017
Couple things that stand out to me:
1.) She doesn’t get fully stretched with the upper. She stops pulling her rear elbow back before getting fully loaded. This makes the swing longer and lack burst. It takes time to get fully loaded so she may need to start a tick or two earlier.
2.) She pushes her hands using her arms for way too long. Creates more length. Want to try to get the knob to work up as soon as possible after her brain says GO. Not sure if she’s been taught knob to the ball but she’s got a lot of that in her launch. Causes disconnection and arms controlling swing (most likely cause for missing under).

Other than that her load and posture look good. Front foot and rear elbow are synced (just cuts it short). She looks athletic.

I would have her do a bunch of stretch and fire drills (look it up on YouTube lol). Do it on tees first until proficient. Then move to side toss (toss at rear hip). Then to front toss. This drill helps teach quickness and connection. Will take some time to see this drill start to be incorporated in her swing but stick to it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Couple things that stand out to me:
1.) She doesn’t get fully stretched with the upper. She stops pulling her rear elbow back before getting fully loaded. This makes the swing longer and lack burst. It takes time to get fully loaded so she may need to start a tick or two earlier.
2.) She pushes her hands using her arms for way too long. Creates more length. Want to try to get the knob to work up as soon as possible after her brain says GO. Not sure if she’s been taught knob to the ball but she’s got a lot of that in her launch. Causes disconnection and arms controlling swing (most likely cause for missing under).

Other than that her load and posture look good. Front foot and rear elbow are synced (just cuts it short). She looks athletic.

I would have her do a bunch of stretch and fire drills (look it up on YouTube lol). Do it on tees first until proficient. Then move to side toss (toss at rear hip). Then to front toss. This drill helps teach quickness and connection. Will take some time to see this drill start to be incorporated in her swing but stick to it.
When I Google stretch and fire drills I get Teacherman stretch and fire drills only. Do you like his version and/or explanation of the drill?

Aug 20, 2017
When I Google stretch and fire drills I get Teacherman stretch and fire drills only. Do you like his version and/or explanation of the drill?
I like Teacherman and Matt Antonelli for this drill. Teacherman goes into more detail and encourages neck slot. Antonelli does the same drill with heavy emphasis on posture and staying in posture. Teacherman talks about hand snap (I don’t like that) and Antonelli talks about getting palm up/palm down early (I like that). Teacherman says to stay on one leg, Antonelli says to launch rearward. The drill takes time for the player and the coach to learn. Teacherman does a good job of explaining how the arms should be set up: front arm at a 90 degree and rear arm flexing the bicep to get the hands close to the body. This drill has a ton of good teaches! I think every player should be doing it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Something that we have added is that instead of being belly button toward the front or pitcher position, we cut that angle in half for some hitters. Then, we do a progression to get them to the belly button to the front. Otherwise, some hitters then to drop their hands to the plane of the ball on the tee. We also do this from front toss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619