what pitch is this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
you would think they would pick the grip if it was a change up? but it could be....

The grip being a tell is the least of the problems with a knuckle change. The lack of spin is like a flashing neon sign saying "wait for it". Unless it has sick movement a knuckle change will get pasted by a competent hitter. My DD worked a clinic with her about a month ago and does not recall a knuckle change as one of her pitches.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
the reason i asked about this pitch is,i read somewhere about a riseball. i thought they called it the New Zealand Rise? (i could be wrong... but i read something about a knuckle grip and it didn't really spin,but it had plenty of upward movement. this girl is a great pitcher,and this might be a knuckle change? i don't know? when your dd went to the clinic did she say what pitches she DOES throw?

Dec 7, 2011
Does anyone know where her index finger is on this pitch?

I bet it is just supporting the other side of the ball similar to the pinky - betting on you would want equal pressure in the same direction from both the index & pinky (cancelling each other out and allowing the two middle fingers to push the ball forward with no spin).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Being as I'm always wrong when it comes to pitching anyway, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I think that is her version of a knuckle/riseball. Instead of the front finger creating the spin, I think she is using her middle two to do it. JMHO.

Edit to Add: It's extremely difficult to tell from a still picture versus a .gif or slo-mo full motion video.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Being as I'm always wrong when it comes to pitching anyway, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I think that is her version of a knuckle/riseball. Instead of the front finger creating the spin, I think she is using her middle two to do it. JMHO.

Edit to Add: It's extremely difficult to tell from a still picture versus a .gif or slo-mo full motion video.

Yes, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was an edited image with a photo shop of Wilbur Wood's hand.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The knuckle ball is supported between the thumb and pinky, if she has her index finger flat then I have no idea what she is trying to do. I think it's a knuckle ball, if doesn't 'knuckle' then it's a changeup. Dangerous pitch to try at her level of play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell