This pitching motion legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When you take a lot of video you see some strange mechanics. I have seen several pitchers in D3 with a 90 degree elbow. Typically it is camouflaged by severe body lean to the throwing arm side, so the ball comes out in area where a more normal delivery would release it. This girl looks like she is rolling over the ball, typically what I see in pitchers with the 90 degree elbow is a palm up curve or rise curve. This girl could throw a legitimate screw ball, with real side spin! And yes, IR is technically illegal.

May 29, 2015
I had her as illegal for failing to simulate taking a signal.

Was there something else I was supposed to watch after that? ;)

Now I am wondering ... how many illegal pitching violations could occur on one pitch? I don't have the focus or will to figure that out right now.

Jan 22, 2011
And yes, IR is technically illegal.

Don't let the Hello Elbow folks hear that!

When I was first looking at IR videos frame by frame several years back, I saw it was technically somewhat illegal and wondered if anyone would ever call it.

Jul 27, 2021
I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 with a 10 being a travesty to the game this is like a 2.

I think the video stands out as it's rare to see someone actually throw sidearm. When I see something like this I just think of how much better she could have been if taught properly.
The umps are now suspect on every call or no call.

How can any ump that let this player get to 18u be considered credible?

Failure to recognize or blind eye toward illegal pitch
Failure to make a call
Big Fail saying this pitching is OK

3 strikes, you're out

May 17, 2012
The umps are now suspect on every call or no call.

How can any ump that let this player get to 18u be considered credible?

Which umps? All of the umpires that she pitched in front of, 100's of them, were either inept or corrupt? Is it some sort of umpire conspiracy?

That is not the scenario that came to my mind.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles