What My DD Taught me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
My DD is a college prospect that does throw low to mid 60s and has great movement. She has a 4.5 gpa and is a great kid. She has been playing gold ball and doing the showcase circuit since she was in 8th grade. With the high school season starting we looked at the schedule for the summer and already basically knowing the fall schedule an almost depressed look came upon her face. There would be only about 10 weekends from now until the end of the calendar year that there was not some kind of tournament or showcase. She told me she wants to play in College but that is too much. So we are cutting down her schedule to about half. If it hurts her chances at a scholarship so be it. Some times as parents it is easy to loose our way in the recruiting processes. Make sure that all ther tournaments,lessons, and time missed away from friends is really what they want to do. Make sure they are not telling you what you want to hear or assume. Our kids have the rest of their lives to have a job and only one time to be a kid. It was a wieght off her shoulders knowing she is in control and not her crazy parents when it comes to softball.

Other thing to consider is what is she doing those weekends off? Sometimes it's good to just simply do nothing but then other times consider doing something fun for the family completely non softball or even athletic related, go to the Zoo, a museum, a local amusement park, visit some historical landmark or just plan an activity with her girlfriends whether that is a day at the mall and movies or something equally trivial just so she can to be a kid.

Probably doing all this stuff anyways but sometimes it is good to stop and plan some family fun time while other times just the "hey we have absolutely nothing to do at all this weekend" is needed.

18GoldDad

Livin the Dream!!!
May 13, 2012
Left Coast
SP, great post!

My DD also started playing Gold in 8th grade and the schedule has been very trying ever since. We must let our kids enjoy this time of their life. There is so much more to life than softball. Like friends, school events, family, vacations, church, community service and just being a kid.

They only live once.

May 13, 2012
My DD does not play gold or other high level, we are a low b or c. Last yr we did travel (nothing even close to what you describe) then LL allstars for six weeks. After allstars over one of the other TB teams called wanting to pick her up for the weekend I thought she would be excited since they are a good team and she is friends with many of the team. "Dad I just want to sit her and do a bunch of nothing". So we did nothing and it was a good weekend. So yeah every parent should listen to their child whether they say it or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes