What makes a great tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've never seen beer sold at tournaments in the midwest, and I've been all over. Never to St. Louis, though. I guess Cardinals fans think differently. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've never seen beer sold at tournaments in the midwest, and I've been all over. Never to St. Louis, though. I guess Cardinals fans think differently. :)

Ken I apologize if the beer post offended you. I'm sure it was NOT the intent of your question. We do like to have fun in the south, but do not condone anyone getting 'plastered' in front of the kids. Only thing I thought in St Louis is all the breweries???

I like to have a cold one. But do it with safety and respect for everyone else.

Thanks, GD.

P.S. Uhhh, go BIG ORANGE tonight!!!

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I had run rec league all star team tourneys in the past and I hope to run one this year if I can get a good response. The things I like in the tourney and I try to do as a tourney director are:
1. Good umpires. I always rewarded the better umpires with a chance to make money at the tourney.
2. Clear, well define rules. If I say no travel players, I mean no travel players.
3. A concession stand with reasonable prices, not jacked up from regular league game prices.
4. Good fields.
5. And this one is the most important, friendly people. If your people aren't smiling, happy people, I am not coming back, if I can help it

Feb 9, 2009
1. Good competition that we don't see at EVERY tournament. I love to see a team we've never played before!
2. Good Umps, which means the Director is on the ball. Don't act like we're killing you for making you be at the tournament you're hosting.
3. Well run. On time. With as many games for us as you can give us...
4. Good fans. If you're gonna run a tournament, handle the unruly ones FAST. They shouldn't be what the players remember about your tournament.
5. Shaded dugouts. With a fan, if possible. Or at least an extension cord for the one we bring. Today, it's 100 degrees where I am...
6. Don't charge us to come and watch a game that our team has already payed you $350-$400 to play in...
7. Don't have your tournament in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere! With a few hours to kill before the next game, my parents want to LEAVE the field and do a little shopping...or eating, or sightseeing, or just getting the heck out of there!
8. Trophies...pay the extra buck for the really cool one that doesn't look just like all the other ones we've seen.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
1. Competitive, Low scoring, close games.
2. Teams that you have never played before and when you hear your playing them you go "WHO?" and you have no idea how skilled they will be.
3. Good weather, suns out, might be hot but you can stay cool by drinking water or getting some shade.
4. Umpires who love the game and know how to call it.
5. Parents and players are kind to one another even though you might live hours away.
6. Lots of fields to play on, well maintained and a concession stand with good prices and the things a ball player or fan would need.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ken I apologize if the beer post offended you. I'm sure it was NOT the intent of your question. We do like to have fun in the south, but do not condone anyone getting 'plastered' in front of the kids. Only thing I thought in St Louis is all the breweries???

I like to have a cold one. But do it with safety and respect for everyone else.

Thanks, GD.

P.S. Uhhh, go BIG ORANGE tonight!!!

Not offended at all. I was actually amused thinking about it, and as a lifelong Chicago-area resident had to take a shot at the Cardinals, who have managed to win a World Series or two in the last 100 years.

There have definitely been games in my life where I wished I could've had a beer in the dugout. :)

Mar 15, 2010
1. Good and fair competition. If the tournament is advertised for C level leagues don't allow B leagues.
2. Organized. Make it easy check in and to check the brackets. Have clear rules posted and make your tournament directors available for questions and concerns.
3. Considerate coaches and disciplined parents. There is no reason and it is inexcusable for coaches and parents to be dropping f-bombs and booing.
4. I know rec league tournaments are a key fund raising source but do not skimp on the basics. Two new balls for each game, chalk the entire foul lines not just to the grass, sweep the dugouts between games, empty the trash cans and make sure the porta potties have toilet paper. Not to much to ask

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Being a St. Louis native, I thought all ballparks sold beer! None of the parks allow coaches to consume alcohol during the tournament, dugout or not. Every now and then we get a crazy parent who's consumed more than their share, but it's mostly not a problem.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Also, another thing. I was at a tournament once and they had this big, fancy bracket sheet thing that was hanging on a fence. It was printed on some sort of glossy cardboard-ish thing. They were writing in the winners and losers as the games were played. I went over to check it and realized that the name of my team was spelled wrong. It is the name of the county that we live in, so I won't share. Anyway, I got a sharpie and corrected it while no one was looking. ;-)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Also, another thing. I was at a tournament once and they had this big, fancy bracket sheet thing that was hanging on a fence. It was printed on some sort of glossy cardboard-ish thing. They were writing in the winners and losers as the games were played. I went over to check it and realized that the name of my team was spelled wrong. It is the name of the county that we live in, so I won't share. Anyway, I got a sharpie and corrected it while no one was looking. ;-)

I also want to see the final SCORES of the pool and bracket games posted, not just the winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad