What makes a good catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On my DD's 13u team...there are two catchers.

Catcher A is more fundamentally sound. She actually calls the game, good athlete...not great, very few passed balls. But, not a lot of throw outs at 2nd. Can get it there, but it has a small arch.

Catcher B is more athletic, doesn't call the game as well as a A, allows some passed balls in crucial situations, but you're not stealing on this girl at all. She has a cannon! She'll gun you out at 2nd, 3rd, etc and she's tough to steal home on as well

So, who's the better catcher at 13u? (My DD is a pitcher...so, I don't have a dog in the fight)

As she gets older you will be the dog in the fight! :) A good catcher keeps batters from becoming runners. A poor catcher tries to make up for poor receiving by throwing out runners.

Apr 1, 2010
On my DD's 13u team...there are two catchers.

Catcher A is more fundamentally sound. She actually calls the game, good athlete...not great, very few passed balls. But, not a lot of throw outs at 2nd. Can get it there, but it has a small arch.

Catcher B is more athletic, doesn't call the game as well as a A, allows some passed balls in crucial situations, but you're not stealing on this girl at all. She has a cannon! She'll gun you out at 2nd, 3rd, etc and she's tough to steal home on as well

So, who's the better catcher at 13u? (My DD is a pitcher...so, I don't have a dog in the fight)

Quick answer: Catcher A. Catcher B "allows some passed balls in crucial situations" --- that is not acceptable.

I'm interested in knowing how well they receive the ball. Given that you describe catcher A as more fundamentally sound, I'd expect her to be the better receiver, and IMO that is a high priority. Make sure your pitcher gets every strike she throws...and hopefully even gets an expanded zone. :) My other high priority is controlling the game: keep the ball in front of you, know what's going on and don't do stupid things.

I think the type B catcher tends to get all the hype, because she's flashy and everyone loves those big throw-downs. Personally, I think it's the steady type A who deserves it more, but it's really hard to quantify things like getting more strikes and keeping better control of the game.

May 12, 2014
Quick answer: Catcher A. Catcher B "allows some passed balls in crucial situations" --- that is not acceptable.

I'm interested in knowing how well they receive the ball. Given that you describe catcher A as more fundamentally sound, I'd expect her to be the better receiver, and IMO that is a high priority. Make sure your pitcher gets every strike she throws...and hopefully even gets an expanded zone. :) My other high priority is controlling the game: keep the ball in front of you, know what's going on and don't do stupid things.

I think the type B catcher tends to get all the hype, because she's flashy and everyone loves those big throw-downs. Personally, I think it's the steady type A who deserves it more, but it's really hard to quantify things like getting more strikes and keeping better control of the game.

Yes, catcher A catches a lot better...slides over to block balls...etc. Catcher B gets all the hype because of her throws to 2nd. So, passed balls are ignored with her. She's really athletic

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, that batters reaction is great. I bet your daughter got a giggle out of that!

Definitely :)

That pitch was on a full count, and the K got the team out of the inning. It was an important moment, and a good example of how the little details of good receiving can make a big difference. The pitcher at the time was a young player who was getting her first experience in the circle at the TB level. Getting that K was a step forward for her confidence. If that batter walks, it's a step back, and very likely leads to more pitches over the plate for the next batter...and the dominoes start to fall...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, catcher A catches a lot better...slides over to block balls...etc. Catcher B gets all the hype because of her throws to 2nd. So, passed balls are ignored with her. She's really athletic

We all love to see the big play of a catcher throwing out a runner. The knowledgeable observer knows that blocking a pitch in the dirt is just as important.

Which of the 2 understands the game better and is a better leader?

May 12, 2014
Eric, Catcher A understands the game better. her catching coach drills her on scenarios from what I understand. She calls the pitch and sets up to where she calls it. She barks out the number of outs to the defense, etc. Very hard worker...vocal..but humble. Catcher B plays hard...but can be lazy with technique. She tries to get by with athleticism. Both really play hard. From my perspective Catcher A seems to know more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma