What makes a good catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Passed balls with runners on base equal a stolen base. Who allows more bases? A great catcher works with her pitcher AND the umpire. She understands the game and can identify a batter's weakness by watching her swing and location in the box. Stolen base attempts don't happen that much with a catcher who has just an average arm. I'll take the average arm, but knowledgeable catcher over the one who can just throw out runners. But there is way more to it, than just that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The best catchers are passionate about their craft.

2qcqhq8.jpg

sbq1ix.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's a physically demanding position, and that alone is enough to filter out a lot of people.

It isn't just squatting, receiving, blocking, dealing with heavy work load, knowing the game, taking a leadership position, knowing you are going to get hit ... but you have to also be able to throw.

eb20sp.jpg

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I love this drill. You have to commit 100% or you have no chance. It's the kind of attitude a catcher has to have.

Agree on the attitude, but not the drill as its not game related. No need to start with the back turned! Make it game like w/ the flip from along aside or behind so that the catcher can work on moving out towards the field.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's a physically demanding position, and that alone is enough to filter out a lot of people.

It isn't just squatting, receiving, blocking, dealing with heavy work load, knowing the game, taking a leadership position, knowing you are going to get hit ... but you have to also be able to throw.

eb20sp.jpg

Hmmm, look at the prior drills, anybody see a stance where a catcher is on their toes?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not seeing it in the above drills. Do see it in games.

igm6b7.jpg

IMO, the catcher in that pic is not ready to receive a pitch. Her elbow is resting on her leg, and her mitt is not in a receiving position. It looks a lot to me like she's about to pop into a receiving stance (if she's been properly trained).

Keep in mind that there are a lot of catchers out there - from 8U to college - who use poor technique, and a lot of coaches who don't know any better.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO, the catcher in that pic is not ready to receive a pitch. Her elbow is resting on her leg, and her mitt is not in a receiving position. It looks a lot to me like she's about to pop into a receiving stance (if she's been properly trained).

Keep in mind that there are a lot of catchers out there - from 8U to college - who use poor technique, and a lot of coaches who don't know any better.

From this position the catcher shifted as the pitcher went into her motion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32