What is Your 2012 Practice Schedule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I use to beyouch about the no TB rule in our state during HS. But learned our HS season is some of the best in the state.

Due to diff in age and the vast amount of TB commitments, I'd love to put the WHOLE HS team in some TB tourneys. But that would never happen due to the fore said.

My DD has broken ERA and HR school records, the team has broken seasonal and a first State appearance in 22 years.

As a TB coach for many years with a team member span of 250 miles, the HS team is pretty tough. Once we got to state I realized the better teams stayed together and traveled. Except during NFHS dead periods.

I have been noticing around here lately, that several sanctions have started having a High School division in their tournaments instead of 16U and 18U. It kind of makes sense, because most play together anyway.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We practice mid August - mid November
off 6 weeks or so through January. (PC lesson continue individually)
Pick back up once per week for hitting, pitching and catching at a rented facility
until mid February then we hit the field for 3 weekly workouts until we start playing.
When we are in playing mode we practice 3 times on off weeks and 2 times on tournament weeks.
This then goes through the first weekend in July or as a group of parents we are done. (as there are some tournaments you can continue to play into July.

Apr 1, 2010
DD's team had last week and this week off, but their off-season practice schedule is an all-around practice for 2 hours Wednesday evening and 1 and 1/2 hour practice session that's mainly hitting Saturday morning.

Most of the pitchers on the team go to a practice session Sunday evening; DD also likes to go to that and catch for them as often as possible.

Outside of the team, DD usually does 2 hours of a general clinic and a half-hour hitting lesson every week and we try to work in a half-hour catching lesson when we can.

btw, this is 12U

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have been noticing around here lately, that several sanctions have started having a High School division in their tournaments instead of 16U and 18U. It kind of makes sense, because most play together anyway.

In our area High school division is a combined age group of 16u and 18u.

I do enjoy true HS tourneys. We have some big ones in our area. (10-20 schools from as far as 200 miles away )The best part is seeing all the travel girls we've grown up with playing for their schools.

Funny part is hearing all the dads from the TB teams make excuses why their HS team is not dominating like their TB. yada yada yada ( during TB they want you to know THEIR DD carries the team, in HS they blame it on everyone else why they lose )

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This year at 12U we have taken November-December off.
Pitchers had a camp in November and again in January that is once a week.
Start back next week with: (Runs Jan.-March)
Pitching/Catching on Mondays
Hitting on Wednesdays (Pitchers will pitch before or after for about 30-45 min)
Open hitting on Thursdays.
Saturday Team practice.
Move outside for Team Practices in April on weekends on off weeks.
During May-July Wednesday team practice or dh and extra hitting on Thursdays.
One tournament in Feb., one in March, two in April (I consider these our spring training games).
Then start regular tournament schedule in May-July.
Individual instruction as needed.

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
Our 10u TB team (Ohio) 1 x per week late Sept till Halloween, break for couple weeks then go indoors, break 2 weeks for x-mas, and continue 1 x per week till weather breaks mid-late March and we can go outside again.

Once outside, 2 x per week till tournaments in May.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
My DD's 10U team practices twice a week for two hour practices with an optional 30 minutes earlier for pitchers and cathers. The practices are broken up one hour fielding and one hour hitting. Since the begining of Dec. they've been bringing in coaches from different D1 schools to work with the girls and they split the time with the 12U team. This happens on Saturdays and Sundays for two hours each day. The coaches all work on different skills, sometimes it's fielding and hitting coaches, other times it's pitching and catching coaches. Since this works into one of the teams normal practice days the coach will ask the girls if they still want to have another practice on Monday, so far they all have said yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell