What is the best way to communicate with parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I looking which league would best fit us and asking around, the same thing kept popping up--communication. I have found that this really isn't a league thing per say, but more of a coach thing. We have had some that were on it, keeping us all in the loop and then others that gave out the schedule of games and nothing else the entire season.

We have now found a home and they struggle with this as well. I am looking for suggestions on a standard way of communicating to parents all at once, the same message on a consistent basis. I feel a group text and/or email works best, but while some young parents have smart phones, some of the older coaches are not embracing technology. My thought on them is to have a parent volunteer for this role who feels comfortable pumping the coach for info.

What has worked well for you and gotten good feedback from parents. I know you can't please everyone, but would love to hear what is working well for you!

Thanks!
GG

Jun 24, 2013
I am curious what you want communications about.

In my opinion Email works best for communication unless the information is time sensitive. Then IM is best if available, if not a phone call.

Jun 11, 2013
Our last team always used Email our current team always uses text message. Both work the same.

We use it primarily to send out bracket times, plan potluck dinners on the road weekends and other general announcements.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Facebook, for most. And then, contact the rest, the way they want. No one makes 12 phone calls, anymore. Text would be OK, for me, too.

Aug 20, 2013
Practice times, cancellations, reminders about things needed for the teams, changes to schedules, uniform specifics if more than one uniform is used, field location updates or locations(many have several fields), when a coach knows ahead of time that a few will be absent a reminder to make sure you are there as the team will be short. Those type of things.

More looking for what has worked best for you now or in past situations as a coach and parent, not really how you would like to be contacted.

Thinking about how the process is started. Do you have all the parents put all the contact info on one sheet, does a parent volunteer to work one on one with the coach and send out the messages or is it best for coaches to send messages. Just trying to help our league come up with a standard method to be followed for best and easiest execution. Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2013
We ask for email, home phone and cell numbers from all the parents.

For non-softball stuff we have had both the HC and another parent try to organize things. It is easier coaching softball then trying to organize 12 families.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2013
I have used texting for the past 3 years. It works best for my parents and is most convenient for me. I set up a group list through an app on my phone & send one text.

At the beginning of the season I compile all player and parent information onto one excel spreadsheet. Everyone gets a copy so they have someone other than me to contact if they need a ride (it also helps to learn the other parent's names for those new to the team).

As HC, I send out all information re: practices, friendlies, schedules. Anything not specifically softball related (ie: team parties, hotel information, etc) will be sent by my team mom.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Do you have all the parents put all the contact info on one sheet

Yes and have them state their preferred method of contact.

does a parent volunteer to work one on one with the coach and send out the messages or is it best for coaches to send messages.

Seen it done both ways. Ideally the coach or AC would send out info. If your coach is not good at this then a volunteer should. If you have a one of those coaches who does not communicate it will be an aggravating job even for the volunteer to get information. Need a persistent volunteer.

Facebook never really worked for us. Some folks don't have it or don't look at it. And you don't want to rely on a teenager relaying information to a parent.

Email is not good for time sensitive info, like if practice is canceled or game times change. Mainly because some people do not look at their email often.

Group texting is great for time sensitive things even reminders, it even works on dumb phones at least the ones I know of.

Then you always have the one parent who didn't get that text or email. May need to have everyone reply so you know they got the info. Please, please ask them not to reply to a group texts, I do not want 15 text messages in a row as every member confirms they got the message. It always happens when I'm in a meeting.

I know this is a lot for a coach to do so an AC might be the best person. Still some of the best coaches I've seen handle all the communication for their team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The HC and I share the responsibility. HC will typically send texts to the parents about weekly things such as practice times, game times, "pants or shorts" for uniform, etc. If we have more info to share, I will generate an email. This could include field directions, fund raiser information, upcoming events such as local college clinics or camps, etc. Typically if I am sending an email, the HC will text the parents asking them to review their emails. The HC and I talk several times per week, often daily during tournament season, so we discuss what and how we want the information shared. We will also have parent meetings once in a while, when necessary. In fact we are having one this weekend after team practice so we can distribute uniforms, discuss an upcoming fundraiser that is scheduled, and review family vacations before finalizing our tournament schedule.

In addition, both of us are always available for conversations. All parents have both of our numbers and are encouraged to contact us with any questions or concerns. We make it a point to be as transparent as possible and welcome input from our parents.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Please, please ask them not to reply to a group texts,

And explain that to us over 60 age groups. I didn't know that I was doing that, until I started getting everyone else's texts, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC