What does the corner mean to you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2014
Overlap is the critical period in which the "click back" or flexion of the hip coil transits to extension in the "reversal of the click back". How this is accomplished while the leg is internally rotated is counterintuitive, and unique to the high level hitter. What this accomplishes is an alignment from a rearward barrel turn that allows a top hand PUNCH to the ball.

5508d1396374371-what-does-corner-mean-you-cornermech2.jpg

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Overlap is the critical period in which the "click back" or flexion of the hip coil transits to extension in the "reversal of the click back". How this is accomplished while the leg is internally rotated is counterintuitive, and unique to the high level hitter. What this accomplishes is an alignment from a rearward barrel turn that allows a top hand PUNCH to the ball.

wow, I can almost grasp this, whole concept.

In my verbage, tighten coil into the forward sit, coil irs the leg/ knee, the hip is deep in coil, then gets extended in a direction, controlled by what? a rearward barrel turn?

I have in bold, because I would like to ask, what Type of punch. I picture a karate type punch, palm up, then ir, after a throttle type load.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal

I am not questioning the overlap condition, but am questioning whether or not the hip is extending at that point. I do not see flexion in the click back, I see the hip moving back along with the femoral head in its socket. How can there be flexion or extension with no variation in the height of the batter? Note Agon height change at hip extension after ball is hit. None during initial leg kick.

AdGonz_side.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am not questioning the overlap condition, but am questioning whether or not the hip is extending at that point. I do not see flexion in the click back, I see the hip moving back along with the femoral head in its socket. How can there be flexion or extension with no variation in the height of the batter? Note Agon height change at hip extension after ball is hit. None during initial leg kick.

AdGonz_side.gif

Coachb, perhaps if you thought of it as 'body extension' you might feel/see it ..... but it is 'hip extension'.

2d76ddu.gif

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Coachb, perhaps if you thought of it as 'body extension' you might feel/see it ..... but it is 'hip extension'.

2d76ddu.gif

Five, I'm challenging the notion that hip extension occurs early in the swing, when Tom and Al say it does. I'm not saying there is no hip extension in the swing. Now, I realize that these gentlemen have been doing this a lot longer than I, and that so have you. I full well understand the gamble, and will eat humble pie if and when the time comes. Would you say the hip is extended in the frame below?

Cabinside_zpsb573743f.jpg

Is the hip extended at handle turn like TG says?

baseball-swing-row.jpg

Or is it coming back around during pullbacks and leg I/R creating the corner. If you extended it a barrel launch, would you not bleed out adjustability?

PujolsStretch.gif

Apr 1, 2014
… I do not see flexion in the click back, I see the hip moving back along with the femoral head in its socket. How can there be flexion or extension with no variation in the height of the batter?

AdGonz_side.gif

…I’m challenging the notion that hip extension occurs early in the swing… I'm not saying there is no hip extension in the swing. If you extended it a barrel launch, would you not bleed out adjustability?

These are valid issues within the framework that depends on an axis of rotation. [url="http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/13734-what-does-corner-mean-you-7.html”]See #69[/URL] Hitting is the result of a kinetic chain of events “from the ground up” in an open linkage system.

Ruler.gif

It is easy to understand that when a ruler is twisted, the unit coils. In fact the greatest degree of bend is around the six inch mark where it goes into “flexion”, and so the unit shortens. It is therefore natural to predict that when one end is released, it will straighten “to extend” and restore its standard length.

The hip socket works as a universal joint at the six inch mark. Just like the ruler, rotary motion below the joint gets faithfully transmitted from the lower axle, up through the joint and towards the upper axle when the top half is released. This is in keeping with the "ground up" premise in all of baseball hitting. This torque transmission is versatile because it operates in flexion, extension or linearly aligned. In fact, when there is no rotary motion the joint works like a hinge. This is occurs when you when you see an amateur’s hip thrust.

Universal_joint.gif

The universal joint is a PASSIVE one, and it charaterizes every single one of our hitters.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
Overlap is the critical period in which the "click back" or flexion of the hip coil transits to extension in the "reversal of the click back". How this is accomplished while the leg is internally rotated is counterintuitive, and unique to the high level hitter.

Extension at the hip socket occurs immediately during overlap, because rear hip must start pulling the hand set following the rearward barrel turn. This occurs in the first two frames of the swing.

This cannot occur with a passive joint. You must understand the concept of competing levers, and not rotating axles, to accomplish what must be done instantly.

5614d1397579860-what-does-corner-mean-you-wrenchplanes.jpg

Last edited: