What do you think of this strategy by a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
I was all on board with thinking the coach made a selfish move but started thinking about it from another perspective.

What about asking a pitcher to intentionally walk a batter who that pitcher has never had success against?

My DD was pitching a game that was tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 6th, 2 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter up has hit solid every time shes faced my DD. We chose to put her on 1st and face the next batter. Next batter struck out.

So isn't this kind of the same thing, skipping a player to have better success with another? I think each situation presents its own challenges.

Jun 22, 2010
This is exactly why the rec leagues I used to work had the scorekeeper keep time, and nobody - not even the umpire - was allowed to see the clock.

This is exactly why the rec leagues I used to work had the scorekeeper keep time, and nobody - not even the umpire - was allowed to see the clock.

Kind of hard when right after coaches meeting at the plate, the umpire says "take the field" then turns to the scorekeeper and says " start the clock" at least that is how most umpires do it around here, everybody knows when time started and everyone knows what the time limit is.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Kind of hard when right after coaches meeting at the plate, the umpire says "take the field" then turns to the scorekeeper and says " start the clock" at least that is how most umpires do it around here, everybody knows when time started and everyone knows what the time limit is.

Umpires shave time just as bad as coaches. I've seen some start the clock before or during coaches meeting. I've seen some start the clock "as" the players take the field. I've seen some start during warm ups.

The game should not officially start until the visiting first batter steps into the box and the ump signals for the game to start with the first pitch. ( very very few follow this rule )

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

That's why I set my alarm on my phone for 70 mins, soon as ump starts or,calls for the game to start. That way I know when 5 mins is left and I can adjust accordingly.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I was all on board with thinking the coach made a selfish move but started thinking about it from another perspective.

What about asking a pitcher to intentionally walk a batter who that pitcher has never had success against?

My DD was pitching a game that was tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 6th, 2 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter up has hit solid every time shes faced my DD. We chose to put her on 1st and face the next batter. Next batter struck out.

So isn't this kind of the same thing, skipping a player to have better success with another? I think each situation presents its own challenges.

IMO intentionally walking a batter is a lot different than telling a player to intentionally strike out. You can explain to your pitcher that you're not doing it because you don't have confidence in their ability but that it increases the odds of getting the next out or preventing a run.

Two intentional walk stories:
- In an elimination game on Sunday a girl strikes out and hits a triple her first two at bats against us. The third time we intentionally walk her. I hear later that a parent from the other team (not the player's parent) was saying that it was outrageous that we did that. One of our parents reminded them that we chose to bat our entire roster of 11 girls while they were only batting 9 with girls sitting on the bench who only got in the game as a courtesy runner.

- In another elimination game on Sunday we decide to intentionally walk a batter. A pitch stays over the plate, the girl takes a swing, and pops out.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Umpires shave time just as bad as coaches. I've seen some start the clock before or during coaches meeting. I've seen some start the clock "as" the players take the field. I've seen some start during warm ups.

The game should not officially start until the visiting first batter steps into the box and the ump signals for the game to start with the first pitch. ( very very few follow this rule )

We were down by 1 and 2 minutes left in game. We are visitor, home team is up at bat with 2 outs. They steal (don't know why) and our ss makes the tag chest high, but tag was applied before girl even starts her slide. Ump calls her safe! It was 105 out then!
Well next girl pops straight up and is out, new inning starts. When ump gets back to his spot at 1st, I hear one of our parents "the pop up ruin your go home early plans blue?"

Jun 15, 2011
We were down by 1 and 2 minutes left in game. We are visitor, home team is up at bat with 2 outs. They steal (don't know why) and our ss makes the tag chest high, but tag was applied before girl even starts her slide. Ump calls her safe! It was 105 out then!
Well next girl pops straight up and is out, new inning starts. When ump gets back to his spot at 1st, I hear one of our parents "the pop up ruin your go home early plans blue?"

Funny! ;)

H

Hotshotz

Defensive strategies can make a huge difference in the team. Coach should have the ability to enhance coordination and speed.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
It will never be called, but any action to purposely hasten or delay a game is a forfietable offense.

Can you sight a rule for me to know and reference in this case? We had this happen 2 times this year. By having a coach call a runner to leave base early to get a third out and start a new inning in order to go over the time limit and try and make up the deficit in another inning.