What do you think of this strategy by a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Using this scenario about "telling the kids they are not good enough", what about using the Flex/DP? Aren't you telling the Flex that she isn't good enough to bat for you, or The DP that you are a libility in the field?

I don't use Flex/DP partly for the reasons you're suggesting, but I also don't think the use of the flex/DP is the same message as asking kids to make outs. The Flex/DP is a case of telling someone that another player is better at a particular job. The lineup and batting order always send those kinds of messages. Players are used to that. To me, that's different than saying that we can't win this game if we're depending on you.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks for the many responses. Keep 'em coming. ...

Just to add more to the story, my understanding is that the parents and the players involved were not happy w/ the coach's decision. And again, this did not involve me or my team. Just was curious to hear how others would react to it.

Also, I've seen stats for this team. The 3 players in question all have batting averages from about .175 to .250 and on-base percentages of .300 or higher. When you throw in the possibility of drawing an error, they each get on-base 1/3 of the time or more. I don't know how strong the other team was, so given the strength of the opposing pitcher, the odds of them reaching base might've been much lower in this case. The losing team had scored only 1 run, if not mistaken.

My personal opinion, which I withheld initially so as not to sway the responses, is that winning is not as important as those 3 girls, who are smart enough to know what just happened.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I don't like the idea of telling a player to fail on purpose in order to get a win. On all the teams I've been associated with the primary goal is to help the players improve their skills. Using stalling or hastening tactics to win a game makes the win meaningless IMO.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Coach is sending quite a message to those girls and their families.
Why not just go to the kids and say 'you stink, I have no confidence in you'
Total and complete bush league management. One thing for sure, there are
3 girls that will be looking for a new team

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO: Another coach who has his priorities screwed up. One more coach afraid of failure.

All the girls on his team should be given an opportunity to succeed. If they succeed, that is one learning experience. If they fail, it is a different learning experience. When you take that opportunity away from the girls, they learn nothing.

Nov 17, 2010
Also, while I am interested in what people think about the strategy, I'm perhaps more interested in the ethics of it. Is it an appropriate strategy? Do the benefits of the strategy outweigh the message sent to those kids? That sort of thing.

Terrible ethics. Let's say it works and the top of the order wins the game for the home team. What was taught to the three girls at the bottom of the order? Get out of the way so someone more valuable than you can do the job. Great life lesson right there.

This type of strategy comes from youth coaches who think they're Tony La Russa or Sparky Anderson playing for the World Series.

Get a grip - you blew your chance at greatness somewhere along the way - don't blow the chance for a girl who has worked hard to get her own shot at glory and to be taught that she can succeed at anything. If it doesn't work out and the team loses, so what? At least those three girls know that they are a valuable part of the team and when the opportunity presents itself again - in softball or in life - they'll take their shot and not get out of the way.

Mar 27, 2010
2 tournaments ago in the last 2 innings of a win or go home game with 2 outs each time the bottom of the line up came up and got on base and started the rally. We went to international tie breaker and lost 9-10 when the tieing run (slowest runner on 3rd base loaded again 2 outs) runs on an over throw to home and doesn't quite slide all the way into home plate and is called out. It had rained all week from Debbie and it was like sliding into mud. But the bottom of the lineup in both innings started that rally and kept it going. Sometimes you just need to have the confidence that the girls can execute.

Apr 9, 2012
My daughter was on a 12B team and asked to swing and miss at the first three pitches. Same exact situation. She hit the first pitch-line drive to the gap for a double.

Coach proceeded to yell at her. Im thinking nice hit......what she do wrong. She later told me the coach told her to miss but she didnt understand. I asked him and he said just what Coogan portrayed.

I explained it to muy daughter and it killed her confidence in her hitting and her coach. It was her last tourney with that team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is why I hate time limits. I do understand the "purpose" of keeping on some type of schedule. But seems like we ought to go towards a standard 5 inning TB game. A couple of the HS tourneys we played in this spring played 7 straight innings and kept a pretty tight schedule, so I know it can be done.

Feb 3, 2011
My daughter was on a 12B team and asked to swing and miss at the first three pitches. Same exact situation. She hit the first pitch-line drive to the gap for a double.

Coach proceeded to yell at her. Im thinking nice hit......what she do wrong. She later told me the coach told her to miss but she didnt understand. I asked him and he said just what Coogan portrayed.

I explained it to muy daughter and it killed her confidence in her hitting and her coach. It was her last tourney with that team.
If your daughter didn't know what was wrong with the coach, why tell her? I don't get that, but ok.

'Swing at the 1st 3 pitches' is different from 'swing and miss the 1st 3 pitches'. If she swings and gets on, then she accomplished what the team needed. If the studs are coming up and there are already ducks on the pond, then doesn't the team have the situation it wants?

I like the passion some coaches have, but I don't support yelling at kids either for missing a sign. Win or lose, it happens. Heck, I missed a sign the other day in an elimination game and I'm 40. Fortunately, the player had it right and executed a perfect bunt to jump-start a rally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1