What do you think of this pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, if I were interested in emulating anyone, it would be two of the best ever and that would be Jenny and Cat "stuff". Just a thought>

...Thankz Again...as a PC I do have a romantic view of the past also. Agree no doubt they were Among the best. And as time tares on, ever is still on going. My comments are biased for my # 1 Girl ...my DD. Our first attempt to join the fan clubs, was squashed by the fact that those numbers were not available to her on her first team....#27, #8, and #1 were already taken...so she pitched her first year with the #5...for dads favorite J. Bench, with the promise, we would find the college best at the WWS... D1 is the 3rd layer of our goals, so wanted to be relevant with a right hander college champ... we chose JT-CT & HR....we were disappointed in the series ....but were vindicated with their section to team USA...JT with the win against Japan, and playing with the Pride. CT with the fastest ball, and lead in K's at the Pam Am Games. Our next # will be that of Erin Gabriel...She is on the trail of the best...

In summary my 3 choises included the the styles discussed...Single Pump...Double Pump, and the stretch. The girl in the video, has wasted motion...will not be emulating her :{))

Erin Gabriel retraces steps to South Africa - ESPNHS Softball - ESPNHS

Here is my DD early in the conversion process...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrX9vGSMea8

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
...Thankz Again...as a PC I do have a romantic view of the past also. Agree no doubt they were Among the best. And as time tares on, ever is still on going. My comments are biased for my # 1 Girl ...my DD. Our first attempt to join the fan clubs, was squashed by the fact that those numbers were not available to her on her first team....#27, #8, and #1 were already taken...so she pitched her first year with the #5...for dads favorite J. Bench, with the promise, we would find the college best at the WWS... D1 is the 3rd layer of our goals, so wanted to be relevant with a right hander college champ... we chose JT-CT & HR....we were disappointed in the series ....but were vindicated with their section to team USA...JT with the win against Japan, and playing with the Pride. CT with the fastest ball, and lead in K's at the Pam Am Games. Our next # will be that of Erin Gabriel...She is on the trail of the best...

In summary my 3 choises included the the styles discussed...Single Pump...Double Pump, and the stretch. The girl in the video, has wasted motion...will not be emulating her :{))

Erin Gabriel retraces steps to South Africa - ESPNHS Softball - ESPNHS

Here is my DD early in the conversion process...

[video]http://missingapril.web.officelive.com/court.aspx[/video]

Since you posted a video of your DD, I hope you don't mind some feedback.

- I like having the glove and ball hand go back together AND come forward together (i.e. Hillhouse) so she gets in the habit of not showing the grip of the ball until the last second, it also helps drive the left shoulder, arm, and glove right down the powerline;
- she is taking an additional step forward with her pivot foot before the push off
- in the first pitch sequence, the stride leg is going up too much and not out towards the catcher, robbing her of her momentum and power.
- she is closing her body too quickly at release. I would focus on staying open more and having a firm left side on stride plant.
- you only showed two pitch sequences but they should look almost identical to each other (focus on repeatable mechanics every single time she pitches the ball) but they don't. Its the only way they get good balance and consistency.

I like that she takes the glove to the right side on the backswing and on release she is trying to get her throwing hand to her left shoulder and NOT in the hello elbow position. She looks like she is enjoying herself which is important at this age.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
...Yes SoCalSoftballDad...Thank You , and I welcome all feedback...I totally agree with your comments also..Thankz Again... got a Question for you...When keeping the hands together you are pushing the start time of the pitch...making the possiablity of a called illegal pitch.... she has her heal of stride aginist the front of the rubber, and piviot toe aginist the back of rubber....TB coach sayes he's not seen anyother's do this. He is worried...Once the ball seperates grom the glove, both feet don't need to be on rubber, is what I tell him, but still worried...???

...The crow hopping was welcomed because it was early in her starting with this, and she was starting to know that the power was in her legs...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Good movement, but look how it breaks exactly at the angle that the bat is coming over the plate? I'm not trying to knock on the pitcher, but the batter here looks uncommitted to the swing at best (and is stepping out towards third base. This is why she's missing on the outside, good call by whoever is calling the pitches against this batter, but a regular curve ball low in the zone would have worked even better)

-W

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I tracked the pitch in the following gif and the batter would have to be somewhere around 14 feet tall to match the breaking angle with her swing. Am I missing something?

ab.gif

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I tracked the pitch in the following gif and the batter would have to be somewhere around 14 feet tall to match the breaking angle with her swing. Am I missing something?

ab.gif

The pitch was outside part of the plate to begin with. Generally we are not talking about this batter, but "better" hitters who are not going to bail out. The pitch is low and outside, so the bat angle for hitting this pitch, and the eventual angle of the pitch will be on the same plane. In fact, forget this specific pitch; it is about the pitch in general. Also, forget the girl here, she wants to go text!

The swing angle is from the batter's shoulders! Where did you think up that angle?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The pitch was outside to begin with. Generally we are not talking about this batter, but "better" hitters who are not going to bail out. The pitch is low and outside, so the bat angle for hitting this pitch, and the eventual angle of the pitch will be on the same plane. In fact, forget this specific pitch; it is about the pitch in general. Also, forget the girl here, she wants to go text!

The swing angle is from the batter's shoulders! Where did you think up that angle?

I tracked the ball...here is what I saw...not sure what you guys are talking about....hope it helps.. :{)

1-19-2012 8-22-02 PM.jpg

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The pitch was outside to begin with. Generally we are not talking about this batter, but "better" hitters who are not going to bail out. The pitch is low and outside, so the bat angle for hitting this pitch, and the eventual angle of the pitch will be on the same plane. In fact, forget this specific pitch; it is about the pitch in general. Also, forget the girl here, she wants to go text!

Not sure about the angle...but this is what I see...
Copy of 1-19-2012 8-22-02 PM.jpg

Jul 28, 2008

That angle comes from the drop path of the ball. If you look at the frame without the line, you will see all the balls from each frame. Granted, if you're right behind the catcher the angle will drop some, but not to the batters shoulders.

I completely disagree that the angle is on the same plane as the bat, nor can it be without less drop and more curve. A straight curve will be on plane with the swing path, not a drop curve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi