What do you think of this pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The pitch a drop curve. If a pitcher throws a rollover drop, the drop curve can be thrown by being "looser" with the wrist. Most kids learning a roll over will first throw this pitch. Some pitchers (and pitching coaches) stop with the drop curve.

A drop curve alone is not good as "the" pitchers breaking pitch. Good hitters will take the pitch for a ball, and force the pitcher to throw a fastball in the strike zone.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The motion you are referring as being a "double pump" is called a "stretch". Cat Osterman does the stretch motion. A "double pump" is what Jenny Finch does in her motion. Both arms go back on the backswing. A "single pump" motion is when only the throwing arm goes back. Jordan Taylor does the stretch,also. I don't insist on any pre-motion movement as long it is comfortable and does not interfere with the mechanics that follow.

I like this post!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
...Thank You for the explaination of terms....I never have vested much time in Jenny-Cat stuff, I had my DD emulate TNT (Taylor-Thomas) and now we are "Building the House" on the "Road to the Rise" and Sneak in some Joan when needed...Thankz Again

Aug 19, 2011
The motion you are referring as being a "double pump" is called a "stretch". Cat Osterman does the stretch motion. A "double pump" is what Jenny Finch does in her motion. Both arms go back on the backswing. A "single pump" motion is when only the throwing arm goes back. Jordan Taylor does the stretch,also. I don't insist on any pre-motion movement as long it is comfortable and does not interfere with the mechanics that follow.

I don't have it handy but that's not what the book "The Windmill Pitcher" says. It says that the throwing arm going back is a double pump, compared to the single pump where there is no backswing, just pushing forward into the circle.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I don't have it handy but that's not what the book "The Windmill Pitcher" says. It says that the throwing arm going back is a double pump, compared to the single pump where there is no backswing, just pushing forward into the circle.

Gotta get the book my self...Thankz... I like this post !

Jan 27, 2010
I don't have it handy but that's not what the book "The Windmill Pitcher" says. It says that the throwing arm going back is a double pump, compared to the single pump where there is no backswing, just pushing forward into the circle.[/QUOTE

I have the book "Windmill Pitcher" and looked it up and you are right and I am right on the "double pump". It is done with one arm or both arms straight back. The "Single Pump" is when the throwing hand and glove together are brought to the pitching armside then the throwing arm and glove hand separate at the hip and and their is a bend in the elbow on the backswing in order to hide the ball. The video shows a "stretch" and a "single pump". Just looked it up.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There is a rollover drop with the hand coming over and down. Then there is an old-school curve with the palm down.

The drop curve is a combo. However, the reason young ladies have a drop curve is that they can't get the hand over for the vertical spin. So instead, a name is given to the bad form and it is "drop curve." That is why girls have 7 pitches: many of them are really mistakes.

Now some pitchers can do all of these well and do the drop-curve on purpose, so I don't have an issue with that, although it is the weakest pitch of all for the rightie: slower than the fastball but spot on to the rightie's bat angle.

2 years ago the pitcher for Wayne State University, she was #1 in Division II for ERA, threw a roll over and a drop curve. At a winter clinic they were teaching the pitch and especially encouraging the leftys to throw it. It was not a mistake pitch for that college pitcher and its not a mistake pitch for the girls who learned it specifically. Its a great pitch when thrown properly and results in a lot of ground ball outs.

Jan 27, 2010
...Thank You for the explaination of terms....I never have vested much time in Jenny-Cat stuff, I had my DD emulate TNT (Taylor-Thomas) and now we are "Building the House" on the "Road to the Rise" and Sneak in some Joan when needed...Thankz Again
PC, if I were interested in emulating anyone, it would be two of the best ever and that would be Jenny and Cat "stuff". Just a thought>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi